HOB overflow / sump setup reviews ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
does anyone use these ? and how do you like them ? im thinking I might go this route since my tank isn't drilled and it much more convenient to clean filter pads in sump then it is with a canister filter well all 3 in fact that I use lol (fluval fx5's) are there problems when power goes out when they try to start back up ?

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
i like mine. when my power went out last time it was out for awhile so my u tubes lost the water inside them before i noticed. .. it overflowed but then it was good when i caught on

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
I just wonder for the times when the power goes out and you aren't home or close to get there for when it come back on is all lol

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
oh haha yea thats sketchy... if it went out for long id just have someone unplug the pump prob
but yea idk thats a good scare!:nutkick:

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
or rather then the worry with a HOB overflow would a PVC DIY overflow be better and more efficient and less likely to drain and over flow the tank when not home ?

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
If set up correctly the pump will run dry if the siphon breaks and you left enough room in the display for whats in the pump chamber

And the siphon should break when the water level drops below the overflow.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
yea my preferance is to not have any water line showing on glass
I know what you mean.

But if the sump is chambered so you have only say 5 gallons that could possibly be pumped back into your main aquarium then you could run your water level that high.

But also have enough in the other side of the chamber so you could overflow enough to break the siphon.

It can be done. Many use the overflow but I find that I would worry too much about it. I prefer to drill

signature

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Either is fine.

PVC will be cheaper

The box will take up more room in and outside the aquarium.

But its really in the setup on how well it will work.

Worst case scenario is power outage right?

1. Siphon will continue until tank water level is below the overflow box so siphon breaks and your sump contains the 20 gallons or whatever depending on your didplay size

then

2. Siphon breaks and pump comes back on when power is restored. The pump is separated from the main sump so only a few gallons are pumped back until the chamber is below the pumps intake and pump burns up :)

signature

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store