My Black Ghost Knife(BGK) refusing to eat

sivakv

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
India
Hi all, have a question specifically for those who have a fully grown Black Ghost Knife(around 16 in), the one i have suddenly refuses to eat his regular Hikari Jumbo carnisticks, neither accepts freeze dried bloodworms .He used to enjoy eating these, and the sudden turn puzzles me,,,,,any suggestions ? he has grown up from 3 in , and has never been a problem with food...

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Have you added any new tankmates recently or messed with the filter media? What are your water parameters? Temperature?

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Is there anything added to the tank recently? That sounds a bit weird, i had a full grown one for about 2 years and was the most piggy fish ive ever owned in my entire life...

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
things from another tank can expose to IPs, even plants or store bag water.
Treating him for that won't hurt.
my 13+? inch bgk sometimes skips eating for a day or 2, but never worms or really good stuff.

sivakv

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
India
the tank size is 6x2x2 ft and his tank mates are 2 tinfoils, 1 sailfin pleco, 1 archer, 1 synodontis , 2 small denisoni. Except denisoni all are fully grown and have been together for 4-5 yrs. Sailfin pleco was moved from smaller tank about 3 months back. Water parameters are PH 8.2, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia are zero. Temp around 75-80. I do have rigorous water change regime and have been the same way all the years. Water is hard, around 500 TDS. But they all are used to much higher TDS of around 900. There is nothing out of the routine that was done. My suspicion is around parasites.

I have an alternate day water change of about 15%-20% , hence the nitrate is zero, large fishes have larger droppings, hence need to siphonout junk and do PWC. The tank is maintained this way for last 5 years. The filteration is through Eheim 2260 and 3e 2078....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store