Pleco pooping

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
My Pleco is pooping way faster than he eats it. His poops are like 2-3 inches long and he does it a lot. Never really had one until know so help plz
This is just what they do well. Welcome to pleco ownership

That's weird. Plecos are supposed to eat poop and magically clean the tank. Mine even has a mob that he used to scrub the walls.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yea, but they still won't do windows

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
IF this isn't a troll...I'm going to hold back my sarcasm....
Plecos are crap factories, and they most certainly don't eat it. They are messy fish, start cleaning your tank or trade him in.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Alga is a low energy food, all animals that eat low energy foods are required to A)eat a lot of it, or B) expend very little energy. Pleco's employ survival strategy A. They are constantly eating and therefore processing food (crapping). If you want to see a similar strategy on a very different animal, watch a cow for about 10 minutes. Count how long it takes for a cow to drop a pie.

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
Alga is a low energy food, all animals that eat low energy foods are required to A)eat a lot of it, or B) expend very little energy. Pleco's employ survival strategy A. They are constantly eating and therefore processing food (crapping). If you want to see a similar strategy on a very different animal, watch a cow for about 10 minutes. Count how long it takes for a cow to drop a pie.
:ROFL:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; this is what I did a few years ago. The long strings of pleco feces were unsightly. I put a number of red ramshorn snails in with the pleco and some free floating hornwort. Like most vegetarians the waste (poop) of plecos still has a lot of only partly digested food in it. Plant matter can be hard to digest and some grazing animals only digest a portion of what they eat. In some places where they have denuded their forests they used dried cow manure like fire wood, it burns.

The snails worked thru the pleco poop and consumed the remaining food portion. In the process they both reduced the pleco poop to much smaller amounts of smaller snail poop and grew many more snails. The long stringy poop was gone soon after the pleco expelled it. The smaller snail poop was less unsightly and much easier to siphon out of the tank during cleaning.

The extra snails they grew large enough were used as fresh live food for fish in other tanks. I kept a pair of small pliers on hand to crush the shells of the snails so the fish could get at the meat. The fish ate them eagerly and they were from a known safe source.

The free floating hornwort plants grew profusely in that tank. This is a bonus if you want live plants. Also the pleco grazed in the hornwort for the green string algae that was also growing. Maybe also munched a bit of hornwort?

At any rate the tank was not so unsightly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store