KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
Yo yo people,

What’s up??

I have a problem going on in my tank

I have a 100 gallon glass tank with 2 peacock bass (approx. 10 Inch)and 1 pike cichlid in my tank.

I have a well-established pothos plant in my tank.

Also I have a few potted water wisteria newly added in the tank.

My light stays on approximate 10 hours a day or less.

Water change is done once a week 75 percent.

I`m using a whisper 60 HOB filter.

Since yesterday I noticed I have some algae growing on some of thestones(White ) which looks very crappy.

What can the solution be???

I’m desperately looking for along term solution for this.

Please some fast answers will

I added some pictures for a better understanding not all of them are very good

DSC_1407.JPG

DSC_1408.JPG

DSC_1409.JPG

DSC_1410.JPG

DSC_1411.JPG

DSC_1412.JPG

DSC_1413.JPG

DSC_1416.JPG

DSC_14031.jpg

DSC_14041.jpg

DSC_14051.jpg

DSC_14061.jpg

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
Those who can't read the post on mobile or so put background in black/dark cause post is written in white colored letters.

Sent from my LT18i using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The emergent live plant will require light so extended dark peroids will not work. My take is that you are picky about the algae spoiling the look of the white stones. With the setup in the picture I do not see an easy solution.

Snails and other algae eating fish will keep the algae down somewhat but not stop it from forming a green layer on the stones.

Perhaps an opaque cover for the top of the tank that shades the tank but leaves the live plant in the light?

The other thing that comes to mind is to remove the live plant and have a dark tank most of the time?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
get a .red tailed prochilodus (flagtail) they grow large but are a very cool fish
Hello; I consider such a suggestion as well but my take from the OP's initial post is that the green coloring on the white stones is the issue. In my experience snails and fish that eat algae do not prevent a thin layer of algae from forming. I am going on the assumption that it is a cosmetic issue of the white stones not being white when covered with algae.

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
I think cause you can't see what I mean (crappy look).
You guys cant give me help but everyones opinion is highly appreciated.

Should I add a bigger or only one big powerhead for flow so tha algae cant form ob stones????

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; My take, from what you have posted so far, is that you want to have white stones algae free and not even a green tint. You have the stones in water with light from overhead to both keep the emergent plant healthy and to illuminate the display tank.

I have seen algae growing on rocks in fast moving streams and in the direct water flow of pumps, so doubt that any number of powerheads will help.

With light, warm water and fish waste you are set up to have a growth of algae. Good luck with you quest and keep us posted if you find a solution.

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
I will add ghost shrimp today to the tank and look what the difference is of the algae and they also can eat the leftovers of my pbass.

Will keep you guys posted!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Try turning lights off for 1 hour in the middle of your photo period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store