Why are baby black arowana so rare these days?

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Seems like they used to be cheap and easy to get. Now it's only in spring and early summer when you can get them. They are about $100.00 or so here in the USA. Is Brazil limiting the number they let out of the country? I remember the good ol' days, $25-30 dollars and readily available. Sure is an awesome colored fish when babies. Wish they'd stay that color. Thanks.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Seems like they used to be cheap and easy to get. Now it's only in spring and early summer when you can get them. They are about $100.00 or so here in the USA. Is Brazil limiting the number they let out of the country? I remember the good ol' days, $25-30 dollars and readily available. Sure is an awesome colored fish when babies. Wish they'd stay that color. Thanks.
??? I havnt seen a black aro for 100$ in at least 2 years or more they r always between 200-300$ for a baby one

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I found some this year for $90-120 each at 3" from reputable people on the internet. Anyone know why they are so few and far between?

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
I honestly never knew you could get one that cheap. I always seen them around 200.00-300.00. If I had a bigger tank it would be either a black or a blue one for sure. My LFS does have I guess you would call it red aro. Very nice fish along with a 250.00 price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
A long time ago baby silvers were $6 and baby blacks were $9. It's hard to believe the price has gone up that much in 28 years but it has. Also at that time a 6" blue eye pleco was only $20. At the time I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the black stop or the blue eye. To this day I've never had either fish and they are two is really like to have.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
IMO, i think the breeders are just holding off on supplying vendors to MARKUP the price. just my opinion.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
There are less fish being shipped out of South America from what I hear and the paperwork to export is getting very expensive

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I've heard that Brazil is really cutting back on fish exports. I was thinking that 95% to 99.9% of the Black Arowana that are available for sale in the aquarium trade are still wild caught. If I had to guess, I'd say that the majority of Silver Arowanas are still wild caught as well. I may not be correct. That's just my humble opinion. I also can remember seeing a baby Silver Arowana at a "big box" pet store that was $9.99. That first Black Arowana that I had was about $12 or $15.00 in 1987 when it FINALLY came in on a special order. I waited about 3-4 months on that fish. The funny part of the story is the aquarium store I got it from was a mom and pop kind of store.The man that owned it was a butcher by trade and half the store was a meat market, and the other half was an aquarium shop. Seriously, you can't make up a story that weird! I've been hooked on big ,mean, toothy critters ever since.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
I got my baby black for $95. Definately a better investment than a silver. I have always been told it is very hard to get baby black arowana out of brazil due to export laws. They are often mistaken for silver arowana when they get larger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store