Any Advice For Stocking a Quarry

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I know the owner of my local (primitive, no utilities and in a very rural area) dive quarry well as well as about everyone who dives there and I was at my local scuba club last night. Long story short everybody (including the owner and all the divers) have given me permission to stock the quarry with more fish since while there's a good population everybody agrees that there's not much variety. I'm going to try to get some people in the club to pitch in to buy some fish with me but I might be able to catch some to. I'm not sure how many acres the quarry is but it's very big and has 3 large access points, I believe it's also springfed. Maximum depth is about 34-35 feet and the warmest I've seen it at the bottom in the summer is the mid 50s. Every species of fish we've ever seen in the quarry include Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, Largemouth Bass, Black Crappie, Northern Pike (very very rare), yellow bullheads, brown bullheads, and some species of forage minnow (probably fatheads). We've thought of multiple fish to stock that have pros and cons with each. I also rated them between 1-5 based on how much the local diving community would like to have them in the quarry.

*Rainbow, Golden, Brown, and Brook Trout (5)
Pros: Good fish to watch diving, something to see in the seller parts where the WW fish don't go often.
Cons: Not sure if they'd reproduce in a quarry with no streams feeding in.

*Yellow Perch (3)
Pros: Another interesting fish to watch while in the deeper sections.
Cons: could prolifically overpopulate.

*Walleye (2.5)
Pros: Yet another fish to watch in coldwater, population control for things like sunfish and perch
Cons: Could over eat other fish populations.

*Northern Pike or Muskellunge (4)
Pros: Favorite Among Divers (there's a small amount of northerns in there now hat are rarely seen that divers say are their favorite fish at the quarry).
Cons: Same as Walleye.

*Hybrid Stripers (2)
Pros: Grow large and make a nice attraction.
Cons: Don't Reproduce.

*Channel Catfish (3.5)
Pros: Good Attraction for night divers.
Cons: I can't really think of any.

*Longnose Gar (4.5)
Pros: Amazing attraction fish that's awesome to observe.
Cons: Finding a source.

*Green Sunfish (2)
Pros: Great Looking fish if not stunted and can make some nice hybrids with other Sunfish.
Cons: Can overpopulate.

*Paddlefish (5)
Pros: Great attraction fish that gets large.
Cons: can't think of any.

They put me in charge of getting a stocking plan ready for next spring so I need some advice from you guys about the best fish to stock that would do the best and impress the divers. In case you didn't see it before here's another quick rundown of the quarry's details.

Size: LARGE (probably a mile or so long)
Max Depth: 35 feet
Average Depth: 16 feet
Structure: Plentiful
Substrate: Mainly Silt but I've found a dozen or so stretches of gravel that fish spawn on.
Coldest Temp (in Summer): 50 F (under bottom thermocline)
Warmest Temp (in Summer): 76 F (very close to the surface)

Thanks for helping guys! I'll begin researching hatcheries to buy the fish after I figure out what to stock.

raymondk394

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
san bernadino
There was a guy selling long nose gar here on mfk and only charging for shipping should really get on that before there gone

Sent from my LGMS659 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

raymondk394

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
san bernadino
And get sunfish and perch then some of the bigger guys like walleye. And pike to keep pop under control

Sent from my LGMS659 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
DM99,
This is what I do- nice. Restoration ecology is all about these sorts of relationships, though usually I'm trying to rebuild an expected or known system than create from scratch...
You're looking to generate an ecosystem, not a pond or aquarium. Once you set steps (introductions) into motion then you will have no control anymore. Once it's in, it can't be removed. So plan. Start with a goal.
Goal can be a single or population of target fish species, colour, activity, diversity, total biomass (busyness) blah blah. These aren't mutually exclusive, but they should be written down into a hierarchy.

Now- to work. Where are you (sorry if it was in the text and I missed it)? This will have bearing on many things, not the least of which will be the legality of introducing species into what may be legally considered to be a wild system. How did this current stock get in there? Introductions? Flooding? Via the aforementioned spring? Thus, will your new stock be able to get out again?

What colour/clarity is the water? Does it ever go green in spring? Quarries are notoriously clean, thus unproductive (oligotrophic) and may need to be fed or fertilized to maintain populations. Check for work out of the ELA in Canada- somebody's bound to have done a Ph.D on the trophic interactions you're looking to employ.

How about aquatic plants, milfoil, lilies, lotus etc?
Invertebrates- scud/amphipod, cyclops, ostracods, clams, leaches, shrimp/crayfish?
Minimum winter temperature? Does it freeze? This lowest temp will dictate the species you can use.
pH? What kind of forest surrounds- pine or deciduous? If the latter, then leaves fall into the water, yes? Does it brown up in the fall?
What are the walls made of- limestone or granitic?

Photos?

Don't just start putting stuff in there until you have a good idea that a) it won't starve and b) it won't cause everything else to starve. This may be a bigger consideration than overpopulation of perch (for example), particularly as perch are fodder to larger stuff. Worry more about what the perch eat, and what else eats that stuff.

Late night after a long day- sorry for rambling.

A

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store