Shocking

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
So I went to reach in the 29 gallon holding my killifish and some cories and got that lovely feeling of electricity nibbling my hand. Was not enough to cause damage was just a shock.
Turns out my power head was the cause not sure where from will pull it apart later and look. Amazingly non of the fish seemed to be harmed.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I had this before but I got a pretty good shock. It was an old light fixture. The fish aren't grounded so it wont bother them you are so be glad it wasn't stronger :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I always switch electrics off now for that reason, I'm sure I heard that at least a few people die per year from electric shocks from equipment and stuff...maybe not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I always switch electrics off now for that reason, I'm sure I heard that at least a few people die per year from electric shocks from equipment and stuff...maybe not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
not a bad practice I didn't learn my lesson I probably should do the same. However I think touching the side of tank would get you if the charge was large enough to kill. But that is a guess I am no expert. Then the problem is how do you net fish in a dark tank. That is typically my only reason my hand is in the tank.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Glass is an insulator so current should not pass thru it, I do not think anything but my heaters uses enough power to cause damage. I may start unplugging them after this incident.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Glass is an insulator so current should not pass thru it, I do not think anything but my heaters uses enough power to cause damage. I may start unplugging them after this incident.
Good to know.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I run a ground probe in all of my tanks, with all electrical appliances being ran through a GFCI protected power bar. If a piece of equipment leaks stray current, there is no risk to my fish, or myself, as the GFCI will kill the power source & I will immediately know that I have a problem somewhere, and can rectify it.

See post #23 (and beyond) of the following past discussion for more info.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...458766-electricity-in-tank-how-to-test-for-it

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Didn't know powerheads used that much electric. Kind of nerve racking since I'll be setting up my first tank with a powerhead very soon :). Kind of a stupid question but would sticking an outlet tester in a tank work to check if there's a charge?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store