Adding bacteria to a new tank?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
It looks like I'll finally be able to close on the new house next Friday and finally pick up my 150 gallon tank and start getting it set up within a few days of moving in.

I have a question on cycling though.
I know you can add a piece from current filtration or some substrate from an established tank to speed up the cycling process; however, the only tank I have is a 5.5 gallon betta tank.

The betta tank has gravel, the 150 will have sand so I don't really want to mix any gravel into the sand. The betta tank also has a HOB filter and I'll be using a canister (fx5) on the 150 gallon.

Would it cause any noticeable difference in the cycling process to take gravel or a piece of filter media from such a small tank and adding it to the 150? And if so, where do I put it in the canister filter? I've never had a canister filter before so all pretty new to me.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
In my opinion it wouldn't really help, unless the bio load of the 150 was the same as the small tank. Suppose something is better than nothing though, if you then added fish slowly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store