Don't buy eBay led light strips!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Sorry to hear. Had mine for 6 months now, no issues so far, and since they were super cheap, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they did fail. But so far, I've been very happy with the 2 I have. Try contacting the vendor

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
Sorry to hear. Had mine for 6 months now, no issues so far, and since they were super cheap, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they did fail. But so far, I've been very happy with the 2 I have. Try contacting the vendor
Were re yours the strips on a roll. Or like a black plastic bar?

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
There's probably a logical reason why they degraded. Some details would be nice.
Looking at the link and pictures quoted there's an easy one. Mine are the ones that come on a role and have 3m tape. It must just be them as I've tried them from different eBay sellers all with the same result. So are the ones that come in a tube better?

Reactions: castro1212

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I got the ones that are not waterproof and they have been running almost two years now. Not a single LED failure. What your seeing is color shift. You are running the LEDs too hard and/or they are getting too hot. It is burning the phosphor on the LED itself.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Looking at the link and pictures quoted there's an easy one. Mine are the ones that come on a role and have 3m tape. It must just be them as I've tried them from different eBay sellers all with the same result. So are the ones that come in a tube better?
Details about the power supply, the wattage of each LED, how many LED's are in the strip. Could you be over-driving the power supply? Where and how are the LED's mounted? Is it inside a canopy hood with a glass top on the tank? Or in the open air? Is light and heat reflecting off the glass top back at the LED's? Are you using a cooling fan or have the LED's on a heat-sink? Those kind of details. Some pictures would help too.

I've been using the cheap DIY kind that come on a roll and I've never had that problem.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I've actually got some strip on order right now so i cant speak about their reliability yet, but i'm not worried. the ones that come in the tube there though are good enough I have a cool white one and a green one and have had no problems with their color changing. one of the suction cups seems like the diameter of the ring is too big so it always slides off though. you get what you pay for some times

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store