Safe lubricant

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If its a rubber hose, then just soak it in near boiling water for like a minute to make it very soft and stretchy. Then it should slip on fairly easily, and once it cools back down it'll grip the spraybar tightly.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Agree with xray...i usually just stick mine in a bowl of hot water for a couple minutes to make them stretchy. There is a silicone grease used for this purpose tho. Never used it myself but im sure someone will chime in with the name hopefully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I agree, barring that you can get food grade silicone lube at your local hard ware store, should have some any ways, every time you open a canister filter for cleaning the O-rings should be coated with it before replacing the power head.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Let me say up front that I am not sure I have actually done this, but seem to recall using a bit of fish oil as a lubricant some decades ago. The kind in the nutrition supplements people take. I may be on a wrong tract but a small amount might be safe.

This bears some confirmation one way or another. I do know that when I feed my fish bits of raw salmon or catfish there is oil in the water for a few hours but it does no harm. (At least it has not so far in the last few decades.)

Again this should be checked out or done with the understanding you may be taking an unknown risk.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Do the hot water trick.

Saliva will work too

Adding any lube to the connection will make it easier for it to come apart... I guess you dont want it to come off inside the tank

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i would have to agree JST, slip on, slip off unless you put a hose clamp on. this I have had to do on a few of my hoses. either way still get the food grade lube for your O-rings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store