Aftican Cichlids dying everyday??

Jacolby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2013
Louisiana
I have been offshore for a week now, and everyday my wife tells me a fish has died. What can be the cause of this??

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Well, to be honest it could be a variety of things. The first question would be what are the water test levels, if that checks out then contamination and parasites/disease must be looked into. As for parasites/disease, it's basically impossible to diagnose without a picture/video, or at minimum a description of anything on the fish.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
If I had to hazard a random guess, I would second chopsteeks. If your wife is not used to caring for fish, it is likely she is feeding way more than is necessary and the excess fish waste and food waste is increasing your nitrates rapidly - maybe even causing the tank to recycle.

Jacolby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2013
Louisiana
That might be what it is, I think she might be over feeding. I have a 250 gallon with 1 fx6. So it might not be enough filtration if she is over feeding.

verbal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Reston, VA
Can she do a large water change?

That would be the best thing to do until you have a chance to assess the situation yourself. I would have her stop feeding, at least for now. If you are away long enough that they need to be fed, they can probably survive on one feeding a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store