Crocodile Monitor

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Anyone keep Crocodile Monitor's? I have seen some for sale on the web lately. Anyone keep these giant lizards? How small can you find one for sale? Temperament and attitudes of individuals? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
I've seen hatchlings all the way up 5' young adults for sale. Temperament varies from individual but most (but not all) are on the aggressive side. Google croc monitor bites before considering buying one of these guys. I've heard many keepers compare these guys to the velociraptors from Jurassic Park in that they are an extremely intelligent animal that often does not like people and has the teeth and claws to make that dislike abundantly clear.

That being said I have seen several individuals that I would definitely consider "tame" but I would say they are in the minority.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
First and foremost, I would like to say that Varanus salvadorii is quite possibly my favorite tetrapod. I don't know if I could pick just one, but it's a contender.

I think the velociraptor comparison is quite apt. A grown croc monitor is comparible in size to a grown raptor, and like we suppose about the monitor, is shockingly intelligent. I've had a chance to work around a few and the knowing way in which they look at you is somewhat unnerving. Most big monitors like waters and blackthroats have dead eyes and want a chicken leg and a pat on the chin. When a croc looks at you, you can tell that he's LOOKING at you. He's considering you and trying to figure you out. If you've ever looked into the eyes of an especially intelligent dog, it's sort of like that; except the croc isn't considering you in a friendly manner as most dogs do. He's looking at you as prey. And with an animal that has the weapons that a croc has, that could be an issue.

I am personally of the mind that these things should be considered in the same category as 'hot' snakes- the vast majority of people shouldn't even consider having them, and those who do should have formal training before they get it.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
First and foremost, I would like to say that Varanus salvadorii is quite possibly my favorite tetrapod. I don't know if I could pick just one, but it's a contender.

I think the velociraptor comparison is quite apt. A grown croc monitor is comparible in size to a grown raptor, and like we suppose about the monitor, is shockingly intelligent. I've had a chance to work around a few and the knowing way in which they look at you is somewhat unnerving. Most big monitors like waters and blackthroats have dead eyes and want a chicken leg and a pat on the chin. When a croc looks at you, you can tell that he's LOOKING at you. He's considering you and trying to figure you out. If you've ever looked into the eyes of an especially intelligent dog, it's sort of like that; except the croc isn't considering you in a friendly manner as most dogs do. He's looking at you as prey. And with an animal that has the weapons that a croc has, that could be an issue.

I am personally of the mind that these things should be considered in the same category as 'hot' snakes- the vast majority of people shouldn't even consider having them, and those who do should have formal training before they get it.
Awesome comparisons, makes me want one ;)

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
if i can get my hands one id definitely get one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store