Strange Mold on filter

me77770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2011
missouri
Hi all, I'm still relatively new to the hobby so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm having some issues with my filter. I recently switched from a canister filter to a penguin 350 bio-wheel for my 60 gallon tank and this strange mold/slime stuff keeps growing all over it slowing the filtration. I've been cleaning it off regularly but it's growing very rapidly. I held off on cleaning it for 2 weeks so that I could get picture to put on here. My LFS didn't have a solution to the issue and tested my water and said everything was great.

If anyone has any advice on what this is or how to prevent it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Filter mold.jpg

Filter mold.jpg

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
that, plus the foam I see in the background says to me you should probably be doing more water changes. what are your water parameters, your fish load, your feeding schedule, and your water change routine.

me77770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2011
missouri
Thanks for the response! I have 2 red-bellied piranhas and feed them every 3 days and I do a 30% water change every 7-8 days. Would you recommend changing my routine?

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I'm one for overkill on filtration. Imo, that's not enough filtration or flow. I've always used a method of at least 10x turnover per hour with my filtration. That filter isn't enough for the type of fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah,I agree with the previous posts and that stuff is pretty much broken down bio waste that has made its way through the filter and eventually back into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store