Tropheus Golden Firecracker

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I saw these at my LFS today and they had just came in. They were still in the thick shipping bags so they were all washed out but still looked cool. I always liked the shape of Tropheus but never owned any before. Anyone have pics of this specific type of Tropheus, google was no help? What is the their temperament compared to mbuna or peacocks? I will try to get some pics tomorrow when they are settled in.

How would the fair in a 75 with Honduran Red Points and Firemouths? I wont put other africans in the tank due to temperament so if they are anything like mbuna I won't do it.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
How many did you get, with Tropheus they do best by themselves and in a 75 would would want around 15-20 to help spread the aggression. People have had good luck with 1 in a community tank with fish of the same aggression. They are also prone to bloat if water quality drops, improper diet, or if that 1 fish is constantly getting picked on. Have Metro on hand and treat at the first signs of white stringy poop, usually when I get a new colony I will soak their food in Metro and feed for the first week. Good luck they are really fun and enjoyable when you get a stable colony.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Herbivore, herbivore, strictly herbivore.

Improper diet is the #1 cause of Tropheus bloat. Spirulina rich food is essential. Google tropheus diet to learn more.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Improper diet is the #1 cause of Tropheus bloat. Spirulina rich food is essential.
That would be incorrect.

I suggest that you read the sticky on bloat at the top of this section.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?456034-Bloat-Causes-Cures-and-BIG-Myths

Rivers, tropheus are like mbuna on steroids, so for that reason I would not mix them with your HRP's & Firemouths.

Diet is a non issue if one choose a quality food. As far as the strain, never heard of it, sounds like a man made trade name, ask the vendor for the proper name.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
That would be incorrect.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?456034-Bloat-Causes-Cures-and-BIG-Myths

Rivers, tropheus are like mbuna on steroids, so for that reason I would not mix them with your HRP's & Firemouths.

Diet is a non issue if one choose a quality food. As far as the strain, never heard of it, sounds like a man made trade name, ask the vendor for the proper name.
Hmmmm.......will look into that

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That would be incorrect.

Good to know I wont go for it then.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I had one of the Firecracker Red Mloto? I think it was called... Basically another color variant of the same thing...

Mine was a psychotic murdering *******... everything would be cool for a couple of months, then he'd pick a fish color he didn't like (normally oranges/reds and once yellows...) and just beat until he killed something... then after a week or so, he'd settle down again for a couple months... then bam, all over again.

Loved the fish, the color, shape, and attitude to a certain point, but he had to go...

The two he killed (and a third I suspect he killed) were all peacocks or Haps an inch or more longer than him. One Dragons blood, one OB, and I suspect him as the killer of my German Red...

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store