difference between jag bloodlines

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
how come some males grow to full size and never lose the vertical bar? and also why does it appear that my jag has two little fangs and no other teeth? do only the wild ones have a full row of teeth. last question do gold and silvered colors come from two separate territories in the wild?

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
how come some males grow to full size and never lose the vertical bar? and also why does it appear that my jag has two little fangs and no other teeth? do only the wild ones have a full row of teeth. last question do gold and silvered colors come from two separate territories in the wild?
Sometimes i can see my jags teeth, sometimes I cant. Sometimes he shows his bars and gets really dark, other times all I see are his spots and he's got all sorts of blues and greens on his fins. It's really all dependant on his mood/stress levels and what I choose to feed him on any given day. He seems to color up more with NLS, Northfin, and freeze dried krill and seems to stay more dull when I drop him some of my southern delight or omega 1 pellets, part of the reason I've pretty much stopped feeding those foods. And wild caught or not, I've never seen any Parachromis species with more than 4 fangs. So in no particular order, I'd say genetics, water quality, food, and stress all play big factors in what you're asking.....

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
The only thing I would add to what JRT8783 said is that there is variation in wild populations, though I have never tried to keep up with them. Maybe someone that knows what the variants are will chime in.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Wild caught parachromis definitly tend to have bigger teeth than captive breed. I have also seen them with more than 4 very large teeth. My small wild male doviis grow large fangs at a much smaller size than my cative breed ones. [video=youtube;AXTf3QWjkro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTf3QWjkro&list=UUZVTYwhm6uePwLBSrKzXpwg[/video] this little guy was only 4 inches with huge fangs.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
wild teeth.jpg this one you can see has more than 4 fang like teeth, technically a fish can only have 4 fangs because fangs are considered as teeth in a certian location of the mouth, but wild parachromis can have many teeth that are the size of their fangs you will not find that as often in captive breed ones. I have seen awesome colors on wild and captive parachromis but when it comes to teeth wilds rule for sure.

wild teeth.jpg

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Don't know the specific reasons that some jags maintain a more barred pattern as adults...but can say that in situations(pre , post spawn, fry care )they can alter that appearance for extended periods of time.....mine for example....

And check our the teeth of the jag skull....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1414186074706.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414186161188.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414186230401.jpg

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
i guess the teeth are more hidden, mine had the sudo-canines then he nocked them out and i havent seen them since

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
They should grow back, unless he is wearing them out as they grow. I have had fish knock them out and grow back several times in their life.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
can not speak for tank bread, I have a wild caught female from Costa Rica and a male from Honduras. both are quite bronze, male about a year and half old 9" and losing his banding for full body marking. female about 2 years old, is keeping the banding and full belly marking unless spawning. in either case male is much darker with the pattern. both have large lower fangs, like a inverted vampire.

keep in mind pics do not really pic up the bronze, it comes out as white in most cases.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Managuense do, in fact have a wide variety of shades and colors. There's not a way where you can classify all of the variety by locale. The fish we collected from Honduras had a broad band of blue along their spine....this predominantly in the male. Females were banana yellow. Fish collected in Nicaragua were much darker. Then from another lake....I have fish now from Lago Xiola....the males are much more yellow. Fish in the same group, could turn almost black if stressed. And just when you think you've seen it all, you get Managuense from the Mosquito Coast that are literally green! IMHO it's one of the things that makes the hobby interesting. Personally I would love to have one of the Xanthic fish in my collection.

So yes...it's likely that they came from different locales.

The pseudo canines you see are the largest of a row of teeth that you can see. As shown in the skull above, they do have other teeth. You will see wild fish with larger teeth. I think tank raised fish don't need them and most...many...lose them after time.

Love managuense. One of my favorites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store