One eyed clown knife

powerfulLANCE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
I have a clown knife with one eye. It is only 4 inches long (still a baby), and seems to get along ok despite his disability. I worry when he gets bigger, if the other eye gets damaged, he may become unable to see to eat or even swim. Dose anyone else have any experience with predatory fish with missing/damaged eyes?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
My indo datnoid is completely blind. After a few weeks of settling in I've managed to to get him eating 5 or 10 or massivore pellets every other day hopefully he will keep improving and eat more and more. He is beefing up just fine. He can hold his own and dosent get picked on. The pic is from a while back my water is way way clearer now sorry for cloudiness. You can see his pupils are pure white. I also had a one eyed CK fish who did just fine no issues.
uploadfromtaptalk1414115457333.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
My nephew has a Jag who lost her sight. She is in a community tank with other cichlids but has learned to get around and eat. Of course, he makes sure she is getting food but they learn to adapt.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I raised a one eyed clown knife a few years ago.
He was much slower finding food and he would miss live food repeatedly. I used to handfeed him smelt or pieces of prawn.

over all they are a little higher maintenance if you want to make sure they are fed well enough but you don't have to worry about him being picked on by his tankmates

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I had a TSN that wasn't blind but had no eyes, I got it this way at 3". It learned the sound of the lid opening and would come to the top for food, and in a tank full of fish that could see it was always the first one to get food. Catfish have the advantage of whiskers but fish seem to be able to adapt to their conditions. There is one advantage (at least for us) to a sight less catfish. They don't hide and are always out in the open.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

powerfulLANCE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
That's why I bought the one eyed knife. It was the only one out in the open at the fish store. Even now it rarely hides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store