Mantilla Rays?

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Can someone give me some clarification on what a mantilla ray is. Is it a species or hybrid of some sort? There are a lot of different looks to them and I'm having a hard time finding info. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
No expert but I believe they are a natural hybrid not sure as to what species but I have heard others say this and they look a lot like cb hybrids

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Shoot a pm to DIDYSIS. Or maybe he'll chime in here. As far as I am aware, he probably has as much experience with mantilla rays as anyone on this forum, since he breeds them.

-Rich

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Like the sticky says Mantilla stingrays have been collected from the wild and sold all over the world for many years. They do have differences in patterns or color but thats just like any other ray species, I would just thought about more with the mantillas as they are not so common. Just like any other ray that is wild caught, Marble, Leo, Henlei, Black Diamond, Tiger, castexi to name a few of the common ones. They all have little different variations, more spots, fewer spots, color variations, some washed out a bit, thousand island spotting, eclipse, grey to super black, dark brown to light or tan base color, and whatever else. Some say one is a higher quality than others and so on just depends how you want to look at it. And as you know line breeding brings out those rare varieties and we soon can call them common.
With that being said-
Some hybrid rays or line breed rays have been created for the amazing mantilla pattern. They have also been called mantillas because they don't really have any other classification for them so they call them a mantilla just because of the pattern similarities.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Wasn't Mantilla the guy doing most of the exporting and therefore named after him?

A name to describe these naturally occurring hybrids......

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Wasn't Mantilla the guy doing most of the exporting and therefore named after him?

A name to describe these naturally occurring hybrids......
yup

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Jose Mantilla was his name.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store