think your filtration/current is too strong?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I was running 10k GPM in a 150. It was literally whitewater.

I wanted more current.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Never to much current until the water is slopping out of the tank :). For certain species that is, I don't think chocolate Gouramis would appreciate that kind of flow. For the tank I'm setting up this weekend I got a huge powerhead to make it as fast as possible for the riffle darters going in it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about the chocolate gouramis, although I do keep Betta edithae in a stream type tank, and they are barely phased by the current.
Some pics from higher up stream,

and yes, not a reefer although I did spend some time in the Pacific yesterday.
Staying on top of a mountain just above the rivers source.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Sweet! Planning to collect anything for the trip home Duane?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
First trip to Panama, so just getting my bearings, and I would be happy just getting some stills and some on the GoPro if possible.
I'd love to find Tomocichla tuba, and those rapids are where they'd be (very precarious), or Tomocichla asfraci, but asfraci are far from where I am.
The slower part of the streams I've seen so far are very turbid, couldn't see an inch into the water, and not so sure I want to dive in.

I did lots of reef diving in the 80s, but not much interest in that now.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Beautiful pics but in all seriousness I don't think this can be equated with aquarium current. When I fish in rivers I fish in the pools not the rapids because the fish are hanging out in the still waters of the pools. I always feel sorry for the fish I see on you tube that are being blown around by to much current. Granted some fish do prefer current but not all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store