do I need to add a sand area for my cory catfish?

hihihimate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2014
Canada
IMG_0022.JPG

this is my little cory catfish. I just got it yesterday.

I do realize he(I suspect) is trying to get into the stones all the time. But I only have those two different kinds of big gravels. So, should I go make a sand area for him? Or I just give him some resting places, like woods or a few decorations?

Thanks!

IMG_0022.JPG

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Most people recommend sand for cories but I noticed it doesnt matter to them as long as they have a place to rest IMO

EDIT: fine fine nonsharp gravel is best to used
Sent from my SCH-R830C

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Cory catfish can easily damage their barbels in gravel, sand is the best option for them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah they can really hurt their barbels in gravel. I keep my breeding group in pool filter sand. Something light that they can sift through is the best option.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
sand is best for cories. smooth sand. there are some out there that are sharp edged, or have glass particles and those are terrible for digging/sifting fish.
in addition. cories are not solo fish. the bigger the group, the happier they are.most recommendations are for a minimum of 3, but I think 5 is better. I don't keep them in groups less than 10.

hihihimate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2014
Canada
sand is best for cories. smooth sand. there are some out there that are sharp edged, or have glass particles and those are terrible for digging/sifting fish.
in addition. cories are not solo fish. the bigger the group, the happier they are.most recommendations are for a minimum of 3, but I think 5 is better. I don't keep them in groups less than 10.

I have 6 Zebra Danioes and 2 pearl grouramis with him, dont worry.

The tank I have is 30 gallons, and the reason I just have 9 fish is because I just start this fish keeping. I am still trying to make the life cycle of my fish tank work. So far, it works good! And I do hope they could survival in a month. Then I will go add more fishes into my tank and make them happy.

And thank you! I am going to pet store and buy some sand for him right now.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
He means cories do best in groups of their own kind. 3-5 cories not total fish. A lot of fish need a school or shoal to feel safe.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Cory cats should be kept on sand.

They should also be kept in groups.

They're also awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I have 6 Zebra Danioes and 2 pearl grouramis with him, dont worry.

The tank I have is 30 gallons, and the reason I just have 9 fish is because I just start this fish keeping. I am still trying to make the life cycle of my fish tank work. So far, it works good! And I do hope they could survival in a month. Then I will go add more fishes into my tank and make them happy.
I'm more worried than I was.
cories should survive far longer than a month, as should any fish you find in the trade. my oldest cories right now are over 10 years old.
in the tank you have now, add the rest (4) of the cories and it's full. no more fish.
did you cycle the tank before you added any of these fish? if not you need to wait before adding the cories. it will be more harmful to have the bio waste from the extra fish than it will be to be lonely for the time it takes your tank to cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store