Will Dow 795 work to reseal a glass tank?

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I just bought a Mars wall unit will 3 40 gallon tanks in it off craigslist for $45 and the silicone on all the seals looks real dry and bad so I want to reseal them before I use them... however the seals are black silicone so I want to use something black to reseal them, will Dow 795 work?

I tried to do some research on this but every thread that I could find was talking about acrylic, nothing about glass.. If anyone has ever used it to reseal a glass tank or knows if it will work I would love to hear your opinion on this,... Thank you much for any help with this!!!

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Dow 795, RTV103 or 108, SCS1200 are all great. I've read they're all used by various tank manufactures and are much stronger than GE1.

If the silicone is dry, it would be a good idea to cut apart and rebuild the entire tank since the silicone between the glass is what holds the tank together, and is likely dry as well.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Dow 795, RTV103 or 108, SCS1200 are all great. I've read they're all used by various tank manufactures and are much stronger than GE1.

If the silicone is dry, it would be a good idea to cut apart and rebuild the entire tank since the silicone between the glass is what holds the tank together, and is likely dry as well.
Yeah I seen a few articles about using it on acrylic tanks but could not find anything about glass tanks.. As for rebuilding the whole tank I only plan to use them for a few years so I am not going through all that BS for them, I don't think they leak at all I just want to make sure they don't leak before I'm done using them...

But thank you very much for the input!!! Does anyone else have any thoughts on this???

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I'm curious what people are doing with it on acrylic tanks? Are they just partitioning to create a sump?
its used to seal acrylic windows on diy builds to other materials. Back in the day NolaPete posted a pondliner build that used dow corning 795 for the window and JohnPtc also used it to seal the acrylic window on the 800 gal polypropolene tank he built for growouts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Yeah I have been doing a lot of research on DIY plywood tanks and I see a lot of people using it to seal the acrylic to the tank so I thought it mite work good to reseal a tank with but now I'm not so sure... Kind of sucks because I already ordered 2 tubes off ebay..

Does anyone know of a good black silicone that works good? They don't make GE1 in black!!! LOL.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
That's why I'm a fan of Sanitred to seal the tank. It lets you forgo the use of silicon all together. Its way easier to use too.
I have never heard of it before so I just looked it up and it looks like a basement water proof paint to me, how do you use that on a tank just paint all the seems with it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store