Stocking suggestions/advice for 125-150 gallon tank please help

Saintwarrior15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
Wisconsin
Okay, so I tried asking in general and didn't get much feedback however, this seems like the more appropriate place for my inquiry. Alright so I recently bought a Baby Albino polypterus senegalus who is being housed alone in a 20 gallon for a few more days while my 75 gallon finishes cycling. Now I am already planning for his final home to be very soon (think christmas) to be either 125 or 150 gallon (depending on the advice I get here) predator/oddball tank I really do love predators with a passion and was just hoping to get some suggestions on stocking here. the fish I have considered so far are the African Pike, the Yellowtail Barracuda and, the Tiger Oscar are any of these ideal? I really want more suggestions before I decide because I want to know all of my options. Also my dream fish is an Arowana which I have ruled out because my tank is too small I was just wondering if there are any similar species that would live well in up to a 150 gallon? I really appreciate your time and any advice given will be sincerely considered thank you.

musc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
Buffaol, New York
150 gal tank could house an arowanna for a while. Is 150 the biggest your willing to go or is there something down the line? One of my favorites as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my vote is stick to a bichir themed tank. Gars are known to reside well with bichirs providing there isn't a vast size difference.

Reactions: Davidiator

Saintwarrior15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
Wisconsin
the thing is I am only 17 (please don't judge by age i've been keeping fish my entire life and it is a passion of mine I am responsible) and I'm not sure how long it would be before I had the space to put a 200+ gallon tank and I want to buy a juvenile I still don't know how long a 150 would be proper for it I don't want any fish of mine to suffer

Reactions: Davidiator

Saintwarrior15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
Wisconsin
I wouldn't mind adding another bichir but I've seen and have been told there are plenty of predators that will do well with them and I would love to keep other top/mid dwelling predators with them.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
the thing is I am only 17 (please don't judge by age i've been keeping fish my entire life and it is a passion of mine I am responsible) and I'm not sure how long it would be before I had the space to put a 200+ gallon tank and I want to buy a juvenile I still don't know how long a 150 would be proper for it I don't want any fish of mine to suffer
Don't get an arowana for your 150. Just dont. He will grow to large and even if he dosent die and is perfectly healthy he would definitely be subject to jump. Trust me I tried keeping one in a 180 and he got to 2.5 feet or so and he jumped one night because he was getting restless and broke my glass .75 inch thick center brace for my 180 gallon glass tank. It was a nightmare to clean up and silicone anothet brace back on. Dont do it. If you must have an arowana and your going to get one regardless of what anyone says then get a jardini or Lei. Even then the situation isn't ideal. I'd just wait until you have a bigger tank. Planning to upgrade isn't the same as going to upgrade sometimes the plan to upgrade never happens. Not flaming you just trying to give helpful advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Saintwarrior15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah that's the point I was trying to get across I fully understand that I cannot properly care for an arowana with 150 gallon aquarium. This is why I'm asking for suggestions here so no worries haha! And Florida gar are interesting any experience with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store