Midas Red Devil

Reel Em In AquaticTrading

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Blackburn, England
Ok, so I got some of these in.

Was told that they are Midas Red Devils. All moved on to new homes but I kept some for myself.

That's the story of how I came across these guys. My question is, at what size (roughly) do they start to loose their black markings and start bursting out some colour? Only time the black markings go is if they chase each other around (which isn't much considering what they are supposed to be like.) They just kind of stay looking how they are in the pic/vid.

Cheers guys/gals.

[video=youtube;KtPAqmsB_dk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPAqmsB_dk[/video]

red d.jpg

red d.jpg

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
hhmm i dont think it's a fh.. tht biggest spot on the centre looks familiar on most of my amphilophus.. and btw man, midas and red devils are different species of amph.. and i dont think ure's is a midas nor a red devil.. im not a fish expert but tht is what i saw.. sorry if im wrong :)

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Blackburn, England
Wouldn't a low grade Flowerhorn still possess the black "flower" upon their heads? I know Midas aren't the true Red Devils, that title is given to Labiatus. However they are both quite commonly dubbed the name Red Devil lol. Around my parts when we say Red Devil it's more often than not the subject of Midas. The largest one is around the 4 inch mark. Any ideas when he should start popping colour?

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Wouldn't a low grade Flowerhorn still possess the black "flower" upon their heads? I know Midas aren't the true Red Devils, that title is given to Labiatus. However they are both quite commonly dubbed the name Red Devil lol. Around my parts when we say Red Devil it's more often than not the subject of Midas. The largest one is around the 4 inch mark. Any ideas when he should start popping colour?
yesh, forgot to mention tht :)
midas is Amphilophus Citrinellus.. red devil is Amphilophus Labiatus :) yeah, at my parts they call midas and red devils as flowerhorns.. lol
i thnk u shud be expecting a fading process rather than a popping color.. but in regards of what it is, im still unsure what it will turn out to be..
here's my red devil btw just to differentiate.
IMG_8269.JPG
here is my midas
IMG_8259.JPG
and here they are fading and already faded..
unknown cihlid fading.jpg
midas.jpg
top is red devil, lower is midas :)

IMG_8269.JPG

IMG_8259.JPG

unknown cihlid fading.jpg

midas.jpg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Blackburn, England
Ours look very similar to the first picture but ours are a little more red. They go pretty much all red once chasing each other around. Like the black barring goes away completely. I'm feeding them up on Okiko Flowerhorn with the astaxanthin to try and get the colours out more. That way could get a better ID on them lol.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Blackburn, England
They have been here for about a month and half now. Only 2" when we got them but are growing fairly rapidly. Largest is now around 4" And developing the nice fat stomachs that a Midas would typically get. Largest is more of a paler colour, like a whiteish colour if anything. The other three are more Red around the gill plates and pale yellow/orange down the body until they fight and then they go almost all red.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store