New 125g: What pair?

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Hi guys,

Long time reader. Currently have a 29g planted community tank, and finally got my hands on a used 125g off of Craigslist.

Looking to house/breed one of the following pairs. What would you guys go with, they are in order of preference. I like the Amphs because of their supposed "outgoing-ness" and colors of the Hoga/Trimac. The Jags just look mean and cool.

1. Amphilophus Hogaboomorum: Hoga
2. Amphilophus Trimaculatum: Trimac
3. Parachromis Managuensis: Jaguar

I really want a pair of Hogas but Jeff is currently out with no ETA. I'm not sure of where else to get some and am not sure how long the wait could potentially be. He currently has Trimacs and Jaguars.

Side question: The 125g has that fake wood trim with a dark brown underneath. I've started to remove the fake oak trim with acetone. Anything I should take into account or worry about? Will it ruin the plastic trim?

It came with a light colored stand that I've sanded down and started staining. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Thanks guys.

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Looks like the acetone route is going to be way too much work and the acetone is burning through my gloves. I think I'll tape off the glass and use Krylon Fusion on the plastic trim.

Looking for a flat/flush 3D background to silicone on the back glass now.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
If it were me I'd go with a Hoga pair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
good choices as far as the fish, not too sure bout the other stuff. I have a 10 inch jag and he tolerates other large cichlids but if I threw a female jag in there it would be bad news for my other fish. never had a hoga before but what a beautiful amph

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
good choices as far as the fish, not too sure bout the other stuff. I have a 10 inch jag and he tolerates other large cichlids but if I threw a female jag in there it would be bad news for my other fish. never had a hoga before but what a beautiful amph

Yeah I had the same thing. My Jag never bothered the other fish I had in my aquarium, but due to their eventual size, a 125 won't allow him to accept tank mates at a certain point (unless your's becomes the exception).

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
Yeah I had the same thing. My Jag never bothered the other fish I had in my aquarium, but due to their eventual size, a 125 won't allow him to accept tank mates at a certain point (unless your's becomes the exception).
we will see ,he chases and sometimes chomps but he doesn't seem to ever go in kill mode

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store