firemouth and tetra community, or something BIGGER?

Community or large cichlid?

• Total voters

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hey guys, soon I will be setting up a 3ftx18inx18in 50.49 us gallon tank. Only able to have one tank at the moment, so heres my question-should I move my existing fish (juvie firemouth, head and tail light tetras, BN and guppy) into the bigger tank, or rehome them, and get something like a JD or GT with the BN in the 50g. I've gotten a bit bored with my current setup to tell the truth, and was looking for a bit of change. I love large cichlids, and at least with something like a JD I can have a bit barer tank, without the live plants I have at the moment, which are a lot of upkeep. Cheers, Jim.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd probably go for a JD rather than GT based on JD's being more introverted in my experience. I have basically the exact same size tank as you, and when I had a JD it was boring as hell.

If it was me, I'd probably keep the firemouth and your community fish; firemouth can get to a respectable stocky size and look good in that size of tank; while not decimating your other fish.

Got pics? :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
theres a lot of cool cichlids you could put in ur 50 gal, Cuban cichlid,grammodes cichlid for example.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I'll take some pics in the morning when the tank light is back on. It is 11:47 at night here at the moment. I'm starting to like the sound of a single large cichlid more and more. The firemouth has been increasingly shy. Something big and boisterous would be a nice change. If I'd started out with a big tank, I would already have a JD or GT, I got the firemouth as I didn't have room for a full sized cichlid. It's a beautiful fish, but not quite what I expected it would be like. I knew they were shy, but mine does almost nothing but hang around out of sight at the back of the tank.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
I've just got a tank with 3 pairs of Firemouths.... Its a great set-up and keeps me entertained watching them flare up their gills continuiously. They spawn and the fry from all the pairs mingle and swim around in big schools of mini firemouths... So who needs tetras when the Firemouths give you plenty of character and viewing pleasure.

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
I think a Green Terror would be the perfect 'wet pet' for a 50 Gallon. It is a slow grower, usually temperamental, they look fantastic throughout their growth and they can also come with a great personality. You could probably keep it throughout adulthood in your 50 provided you keep it with a very small stock. Say a few smaller catfish and a small school of sturdy fish. (barb or tetra).

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Awesome, It's good to hear that a green terror would be good for that tank. I was only planning on keeping a single BN with a large cichlid in there, so overstocking won't be an issue. But should I have a few dithers? To keep any possible aggression away from the BN? I've pretty much decided on having a large 'wet pet' in there, now I've just got to narrow it down to which species haha. Ever since I looked after my mates green terror (in a tank the exact same size as the one I'm going to be using) I have wanted one of my own. I'm good mates with the owner of my lfs, so he can order one in for a good price, so getting one won't be a problem.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Why bother with a POLL which is in favour 4 to 1 on Firemouths and Tetras then just not listen to it?? You're just one of these who asks for opinions and goes with what he wants anyway. All I'll say is this is normal in fishkeeping circles.... Quite a lot of people cant stick to one fish or a group of fish and easily get bored and move on to the next Fad...

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
Yes I would get a few dithers. Colombian Tetra, Silver Dollars etc... Certain African Cichlids can also work, though most will recommend against it because of water parameters (but some African species will work, both in temperament and water parameters). There are a lot of options for Dithers, just don't get anything that will grow too large and cause a large bio load.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store