help me settle down my new giant gourami :L

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
hello guys, i just bought a juvenile golden giant gourami.. im having trouble on getting him to settle in.. everytime i get near his tank, he would immediately get scared :( im worried tht he might not work out with the surroundings.. it was a long 100km, 2 1/2 hrs drive back from the lfs.. will he get used to his new tank soon enough ? how can i help him settle down?
p.s ive already posted a thread on my gg on the Other Monster Fish section but i got little response .. im hoping tht i can get help here where most users are active here :) thanks :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Try dimming the lights, plenty of hiding spaces, when you approach the tank don't make sudden movements; take everything slowly. He'll eventually habituate to your presence

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
lights are dimmed but sunlight will pass through on the day .. i put a fake barrel in it and some driftwoods.. but there are plenty of activities during the day as my family will move on the tank's surroundings... and also the tank is on the lower side of my double-tank stand which he will see movements of feet during the day..
btw, i put some floating pellets in and he ate them.. but as i put floating ones he's scared of getting to the top tank.. he would avoid anyone when near the tank.. tank has no substrate and has black background btw..
should i just wait a few days for him to settle?

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
They're pretty skittish with either your movements or light sources from the top of the tank. How large is this giant gourami we are talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
i just bought it at 3-4inch long .. i bought him yesterday about 100km away from my place.. it was a long, winding and bumpy road so tht explains why he's stressed ..

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Add a small group of dither fish

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
+1 for hidey spots and dithers. If this doesn't work after a few days I might take the opposite approach... wheel a TV in front of the tank and leave it on for a few days and see if it gets used to noise and movement.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
I've got a congo bush that acts like your GG he's full grown and WC very skittish. He's in with two other smaller Congo's that are friendly like mollies are.

I'm hoping over time he will get used to us as, again like you tank is in a high traffic area and the are 4 kids and 2 adults in the house.
Right now from across the room he's all over the tank when we approach it he hides in the plants.
I'm attributing his shyness to age and being in the wild. the other two were very small when we got them and got over it in a week.
BTW today is a week since we added it.

Just keep around him and try to get it to associate you with food. That helps alot
Rich

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
just give him time.
also, i think seeing people feet all day then being attacked my a random face every now and then may not help too much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store