need sump help

dovii_6

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2014
Asheville NC
so i have a bank of four fifty five gallon tanks and im wanting to build a sump for them can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as maybe blue prints and or a video. Ive got a few questions of what im doing to connect them all with out drilling using over flows but also how big a pump and possibly how many? Anything is appreciated.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
If your not drilling the tanks then everything depends on your overflow you plan to use. Store bought? Diy pvc?

What size do you plan on using gph wise?

Non drilled overflows work, although they have some drawbacks. On a more complex system like yours with multiple tanks on a single sump the issue is regulation of return flow for each tank. I would try to get the flow rate of each tank as close to the same as possible. Divide the return flow equally. Non drilled overflows have a window of which they can safely operate, (true with drilled holes/bulkheads as well) you don't want a single tank to take a majority of the incoming water due to an error or failure in the plumbing.

I'm sure it can be done, but for safety and piece of mind I'd strongly recommend drilling the tanks, but that's just me. A system this complex has many faults that can become apparent down the road, I'd take whatever steps I could to minimize these and ensure safe leak free operation.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I don't have alot of experience with pvc overflows. Are you planning on stacking them on top of each other?

Drilling tanks is super easy. If I can do it. You can do it. Just make sure the glass isn't tempered. The bottom glass probably is. The sides should not be depending on the manufacturer. Some 55g tanks shipped in cardboard boxes to be sold for "starter kits" have tempered glass to help them survive shipping.

I just drilled a brand new 90g with a $5 Chinese ebay/amazon hole saw using a small cordless drill and water. Trust me if I can do it... anyone can

A glass shop would probably do it too. oa guy in my area charges $40 per hole ans you sign a waiver.

Its a useful skill for running a fish store and is a service you could offer to your good customers once you get the hang of it.

Just my opinion.

Anyway look for a pump that will meet your demands at head height. If you want 1000gph (or w/e) look at the manufacturer's flow curves and find one that does 1000gph at 6ft (or w/e) .. thay may require purchasing a pump rated close to 2000gph at 0ft.

Choose a pump that you can get parts for. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare incase it goes down

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I would highly recommend drilling them. Look at getting a bit and bulkheads from glass holes and go to work on it. It's easier then you would think. Watch the bulk reef supply video online for some tips. I was also a little worried at first but I ordered everything and it's easy, does take some time but it's not that bad.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Most 55's are tempered. Do you know what brand they are? If so, contact the manufacturer and ask them. Drilling is a piece of cake! I have drilled lots of tanks. I am drilling a piece of 3/4" this week. The only one that is difficult is the first one. Just because it is new and different.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have drilled plenty of 55s, and as the others have said it is a breeze.
Make a template for the size bulkhead, and use plenty of cooling water.
I like to use 1.5" PVC for all overflows, because its harder to clog with a dead fsh, or plants or whatever than smaller pipe.
here is the latest 55 I have drilled.

I control flow with PVC ball valves, and different tanks get different flow rates according to different species, no problem, below note the red ball valve.

below a template for drilling, note the small hole for cooling water.

I use a hand drill with a diamond bit from Jehmco.
And use @ 2000gph in a sump for a group of 5 X 55gal tanks.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1414371470222.jpguploadfromtaptalk1414371451888.jpg

Alternatively if you do it indoors and dont wanna use a hose.

I dumped a cup of water into the dam a few times to make sure it stayed cool, which I did.

This is how I did my latest bulkhead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store