fish for 200 gallon

oscar777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
Australia
I currently have a 200 gallon 183cm x 60cm x 70cm tank with a jaguar cichlid, a red terror and jack Dempsey. Ive had them a few months and they're all happy and healthy and it's fine but they're really skittish and they just freak out and smash around whenever there is movement in the room and they're just hurting themselves by doing this. They're not in a busy area they're left alone most of the day with plenty of hiding spots and they're all about 6 inches long. I really just want a bigger fish or a few bigger fish that aren't going to run from me whenever I try to look at them and one that will be pretty exciting and active and aggressive. I want to go for something a little bigger or the same but faster growing and I really need options. Being in Australia I have limited options but I just want to get a few ideas for something permanent in this tank whether it is a few big aggressive fish or just one big guy that owns the tank to himself.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The darting and thrashing is because they arn't used to people. Spend more time in front of the tank, not just at feeding time. I have a 225 in the family room and the fish are out front and center all the time no matter what's going on because people are around them all the time and they are used to all the activity.

Amazonjim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2014
Tarpon Springs, FL
Howdy Oscar - if you want a single occupant ( or pair) consider Dovii - they won't ever play well with others - but are extra aggressive and not shy. Will grow large physically and have a huge attitude. 220 is a good size for a pair ( M/F ). Two males will fight to the death.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Howdy Oscar - if you want a single occupant ( or pair) consider Dovii - they won't ever play well with others - but are extra aggressive and not shy. Will grow large physically and have a huge attitude. 220 is a good size for a pair ( M/F ). Two males will fight to the death.
You do know dovii get 28 inches long and would not do well as it would overstocked

oscar777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
Australia
The darting and thrashing is because they arn't used to people. Spend more time in front of the tank, not just at feeding time. I have a 225 in the family room and the fish are out front and center all the time no matter what's going on because people are around them all the time and they are used to all the activity.
I try to spend as much time as I can in front of the tank but its in my bedroom and so I'm not usually here and I've had them for months and its still terrible

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Get a midevil! They are awesome and never shy. They look great too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oscar777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
Australia
How many silver dollars because I don't want a big bioload when they are full grown and do you have any suggestions on a bottom feeder I could add?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store