too much filtration?

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
i have 2 aquaclear 70's and 2 fluval 406's on my 65. is this too much? the fish dont mind the flow and the hobs have no sponges or anything and are filled entirely with biomax. i keep the tops off the hobs and they are mainly used for my big pothos plants. the roots seem to like going down into the biomax.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
never to much,if your fish can handle the flow.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Depends on the fish really.........Hillstream loaches to Discus pretty big span.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
It's not too much. I just got done testing all my rena XP3S. For a day I had 3 rena Xp3s on my 60 gallon LOL fish didn't mind a thing everything was fine. But I only am leaving one on as the permanent filter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Now this has my attention i have two tetra 70s on my 125 in addition to the canister and uv. Im adding matrix to my canister to keep nitrates lower. Was wondering if anyone did what you're doing and if its beneficial. Was going to just put bags with matrix, but i assume your biomax is loose if youre growing pothus in it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As Tom said, depends on what type fish. One size doesn't always fit all.
And its not the amount of filtration, but the amount of flow.
If you have ATF or Tomocichla that live in counter currents under waterfalls and in rapids, you'd have a hard time getting too much no matter how many basic aquarium filters you buy.
I use a 2400gph pump on my Chuco tank at less than 6ft of head, and they spawn in the counter current area under where the water enters.

If you have stagnant water swamp fish, like some Bettas and gouramis, its a different story.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store