How often do you test your water?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I know people who test their water once a week but I haven't tested mine in months.. I only ever test my water if I see a problem with my fish. How often do you guys test your water?

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
On my newly set up tank I tested daily until any signs of a cycle were gone. Now I am on a weekly test schedule. Once I see nitrates I do a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I change hald or more of my water weekly. I test water maybe twice a year. Maybe.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I tested every week for years, until I found the routine that would keep my nitrate level between 2-5ppm, and pH stable from before and after a water change. Once that had been established once per month, or if something appears askew.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I have had tanks running for years that I never tested. In my experience you can do that if you are patient and if you are intentionally under stocking the tank with ample water changes and meticulous maintenance. There are other ways to do it as well. That method works for me because I don't care for the appearance of tanks with what I feel are too many fish.

If I wanted to run a tank at close to maximum however, I would test routinely because it's much easier for things to go south when the stocking is heavy. (Again, from my experience.)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mostly when I am setting up a new tank lol.I rarely test my established tanks since I am on top of their maintenance pretty much but every now and then I'll run some tests just out of curiosity.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I normally test daily when setting up a tank otherwise about once every month or two unless problems occur, I rarely see problems with my tanks as they all get 50% weekly changes and some get 50% twice a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store