substrate change/ammonia spike

guru101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Hudson,FL
Yesterday I changed my substrate in my 75 gallon tank. I removed all my driftwood and rocks and put as much of it as possible in a container with tank water. I also filled 3 five gallon buckets with tank water and put the fish in them. So all substrate and water removed I added the new substrate and started filling back up. I added 2 and 1/2 capfuls of prime which should be enough for 125 gallon tank from the way I understood it(normally I add 2). After this I poured the water from the container with driftwood and rocks back into the tank along with the deco as is was filling. Then the rest of the tank water and fishes from the buckets. I kept some of the water just in hopes of helping with water temp and so on. this tank has been up n running for over a year with no issues, I am running a fluval 406 and eheim 2217 with a tunze 6015 powerhead to help with waterflow and there is hydor 600 in the tank waiting for a replacement bushing that I lost. So I woke up this morning and checked the parameters.

Ammonia- .5
Nitrite- .25
Nitrate- between 5-10

So I did a water change about 30-40% right away. I have been checking water all day and about 10 hours later

Ammonia- between 0 - .25 looked like to me, my fiancée said it was at 0 api test kit was hard to tell for me this time
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10-20 (15)

I noticed my Carpintis Flashing some which is rare but he will do it every once in a while.
should I wait until tomorrow to do another water change or do another before? any advice would be appreciated

5 inch Carpintis
3 inch Green Sev
2 1/2 inch Nicaraguan
1 1/2 Inch convict
5 cories
3 danios

Fish Tank.JPG

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
The substrate most likely had most if your beneficial bacteria and upon removal your tank is in a 'mini cycle'

Sent from my SCH-R830C

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Im pretty sure prime will bind ammonia for 24 to 48 hours giving the filters a chance to pull it out and the bacteria a chance to eat it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Perhaps toss in a $3.50 bottle of tetra safe start if you wanna make sure you have adequate bacterial filtration. The surfaces of the old substrate were part of your biological filtration most people dont think of. You removed a large surface area of your biological bacteria taking out the substrate. There likely will be a slight ammonia spike before the bacteria start eating and catching up dont feed for 24 to 48 hours and monitor it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Vukmir13

guru101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Hudson,FL
I was thinking of adding some seachem cycle. I have used it before not sure if it really does much. new the substrate would have bb just though the filters would be able to handle it, not very smart thinking I guess. I haven't fed them at all today I will hold off on that until things settle.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've never found a study that tested the theory of where the majority of the BB resides, and I've spent a lot of time looking. I think it's a theory that has numerous holes in it:

1) people have stocked tanks with no substrate
2) people cause full cycles or at least mini cycles by swapping in virgin (or inadvertently sterilized) filter media in tanks with substrates
3) people have successfully removed substrates in tanks and not suffered a cycle or mini cycle.

I think it's either much more complicated, that people are not controlling their tanks as well as they report, or the theory has flaws. I certainly don't claim to know the answer.

In looking at the OP, nitrite went from .25 to zero and ammonia declined as well. Since you essentially exterminated all the substrate BB in one fell swoop, we have to deduce that not only do you have BB elsewhere in the tank, but that it's quite healthy, active and substantial. My estimate is that 70-75% of your BB is in your filter or somewhere that isn't your substrate. That might be why the nitrites were cleaned to zero. Nitrobacter bacteria are very slow at growing and so you didn't repopulate those overnight---you have to have kept most of them.

That being said, it's not a bad idea to go slow on feeding as your overall tank BB population took a hit, if not catastrophic, it's still something well above zero.

Reactions: Vukmir13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store