Sting Ray tanks requirements

JaMhops

Feeder Fish
Oct 26, 2014
Uk
I guess this has been asked a few times but wanted to check a couple things:
I have wanted a sting ray for a while, either polka dot, motoro or tea cup and am happy to take things slow....

i have a 5x2x2 in the garage in storage but the kitchen needs refitting before this is setup (or a bigger one again) but I have been allowed a tank under the stairs! I had considered expanding my discus collection but then I wondered if a couple of Rays could fit in there... The maximum size is a 4x2x2ft well actually the depth could be 2.5 or 3 (though this wouldn't be as good viewing). The system would have a ro based continuous water change (well 12 hours a day on a 100gpd to filter)

So I am not going to say is the 4ft enough for 6 months or a year as I think the kitchen will be closer 2 before its done... But would a couple rays be happy in a 4x2x2? Would the additional depth help the Rays at all considering that they will be on continual water change with ro water?

In essence is it a no go for now? would it be possible with only one ray and of the 3 fish above can they be ranked from best suited to least suited?

thankyou

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I wouldn't recommend using ro water. It removes some trace elements beneficial to freshwater fish. Salt water guys uses it because the trace elements are reintroduced with the salt mixes they use.

JaMhops

Feeder Fish
Oct 26, 2014
Uk
I wouldn't recommend using ro water. It removes some trace elements beneficial to freshwater fish. Salt water guys uses it because the trace elements are reintroduced with the salt mixes they use.
Would that include - 79/30 or 50/50 blend? My water quality isn't the best here... Are there any comments on the tank size?

JaMhops

Feeder Fish
Oct 26, 2014
Uk
can anyone offer any advise, I assumed it would be a no go but from the silence I am now thinking maybe it's not, if a few people could help it would be appreciated,

thanks

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
Would that include - 79/30 or 50/50 blend? My water quality isn't the best here... Are there any comments on the tank size?
A blend would be fine. As to the exact percentages of the blend I'm no expert and will leave that to the more knowledgeable to answer.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Go to the stingray sub-forum in the bottom dwellers section and start reading the stickies.

Fishwhore

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
_______
If the Rays are captive breed more than likely it's been in regular tap water. If you want you can filter the water through a 3 stage water filter. Sediment/granular carbon/block carbon. No ro as that can get expensive and makes the ray sensitve to hard water.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I have a 4x2x2 grow out tank in my garage. 4 WC Hystrix stingray. I have only one large eheim bucket external filter and do daily water changes using HMA water of around 20-30%. Rays have been in it for several months. All growing very well, largest is 8" disc. They will be in a 600-700 gallon pond next year

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store