Question about 240 gallon acrylic

mach2mack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
I have never had a acrylic tank but I found a 240 for a very cheap price. Needs polished up and stuff. My question is the openings in the top are very small. I want to put some large driftwood in it. I figure I can cut the top of the tank off , get it all cleaned up , put my stuff in it, then reattach the top. So is it better to cut the top off at the top leaving a rim around the top or to cut around the sides of the tank? Also can I just reattach the piece I cut off or do I need a new sheet. Sorry if its a dumb question and thanks for any help. Here are pics of the tank.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Look into weld on 40 is my best recommendation. But you would want to cut it along the front pane and sides leaving the top euro brace and everything in tact to try and weld the old top back on. You would not need a new piece this way. But also that is a lot of work for some large pieces of drift wood. Depending how big you might be able to make the euro brave a little smaller and get it in. How thick is the acrylic?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
That is a really crazy thing to do for some driftwood.. However we have all done some pretty crazy things for our hobby!!! I my self would never do that, I would look into some smaller pieces of wood that I could pile up and make it look bigger...

However if you feel you really need to cut it open so you can get in there and clean it I would not cut the whole top off it, I would cut a hole in the top big enough to fit in and get the driftwood in then buy a new piece of acrylic to weld back over the hole... That way you will not have that ugly seem going all the way around the tank and you are not taking any strength away from the tank!!!

If you do it this way make sure you leave atleast 3" to 4" of acrylic on each side ( front to back ) so you have plenty of material to weld the new piece back on to!!! IMO this would be the best and safest way to do it!!!

Good luck and keep us posted how everything comes out!!

mach2mack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
Like I said I have never had a acrylic tank. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal to do. I guess I was wrong. I can just cut the holes a bit bigger but I'm not sure how big I can go. I pick up the tank tonight so I can measure how thick the acrylic is then.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I wouldn't cut anything out of that top. I can't tell how thick the top is from the picture, but the top is a very structural part of acylic aquariums.
Doesn't seem worth risking it. If you weaken the structure, you could get a crack down the road.. I bought a used acyrlic tank that was underbuilt. It was fine for about 2-3 years, then then it cracked without warning.

mach2mack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
Yeah I think I'll scrap my plan of cutting it doesn't seem worth it. I could pass up the tank though I'm getting it from a guy that does the storage auction for $240.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I think it would be perfectly fine to cut the holes bigger. You could probably cut them to twice their size from front to back. I wouldn't cut into the center brace area.

Ultimately, the top piece really prevents bowing as much as it provides structure. The more you cut off, the more the tank will bow, but I don't think it would be in any sort of danger of breaking unless you cut a lot off the top

I say go for it! Although I may be biased..... :naughty:

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store