HELP! Is my tank going to explode?!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I recently aquired a 180g aquarium. It has been running in my living room for three weeks now. The stand has a plywood board on top of a very solid rectangle. The plywood extends beyond the reinforced rectangle for aesthetic purposes.

I JUST realized that i set it up so that the right side of the tank is on the plywood, but NOT directly over the reinforced rectangle box. It extends onto the plywood about two inches.

Am I ruined? Do i need to fix this? How long do I have? I'm having a serious panic attack! Please help!

The tank is all glass, by the way.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I would remedy the situation as fast as possible. But chances are, if it's holding water now you have SOME time.

Ive seen lots of set ups where people have tanks supported by a sheet of plywood overhanging the stands structure. Ive even seen tanks hang off of stands into thin air.

I wouldn't have a heart attack, for the mean time drain some water out as low as you can while still retaining running filtration

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Have any pics that we can see to understand completely. Also depends on the size of tank and weight of course.

But with most glass tanks if you have a majority of it supported correctly it will be just fine. They are not like acrylic and have allot of flex that can become very bad. If you have a glass tank every inch of that trim does not need to be supported just needs to have enough support over the width in multiple places to support it. Having the two ends sitting solidly on supports is best but if you have a horizontal brace 5 inches from the end with 2 very sturdy vertical supports holding up that horizontal beam you will be fine but you would also not want to put a ton of force on that end of the tank either. When in doubt though if you set it up wrong empty and refill. You can save all the water in totes and everything can be set back as it was in 30 min to 1 hour easy

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Is it acceptable to have a tank supported as described? Im really worried about trying to move it too. I just got everyone comfortable in the tank, and am acclimating two new fish. Gah. This is terrible.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Ill snap pictures now

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM02771.jpg
CAM02772.jpg
CAM02768.jpg

CAM02771.jpg

CAM02768.jpg

CAM02772.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Mural is a work in progress, by the way. As you can see-- im overshooting the main build by 2 or so inches on the right. The left side of the tank is sitting on the sturdiest possible place. I know absolutely nothing about architectural intricacies but have heard horror stories about variance leading to explosions.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The tank is also about 2-5mm onto the actual plywood on the front right forward facing side (see pic 2)

Edit: clarity

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Looks fine to me. You should be just fine as is for a long time

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM02774-1.jpg

This is the back right. Its roughly 5-8mm on plywood only.

CAM02774-1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store