My new 75 gallon with sump.

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
Stock list is 1 8" Oscar, 1 4" red devil, 1 2" convict, 1 3" oscar. All fish are for sale I'm trying to rehome everything but the Oscar and the convict. This is my first tank with a sump and it is an eshopps rs-75. I've had my filter sock on there for 2 weeks and I have a bunch of scrubbies inside. The tank is not crystal clear as I would expect with a sump because I thought they were the best form of filtration, my tanks have been way clearer with just hang on the backs with a bigger stock list. What am I doing wrong? I did a 60% water yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1414428953.833606.jpg

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I guess the first question to ask id if the media in your sump is cycled or if there is also a cycled filter also running on this tank?

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
16 scrubbies? not near enought... you gotta fill that sump up, my 55 gallon sump running x3 tanks (125/90/45)has at least 100, plus some lava rock, plus about a cubic foot of plastic strapping ribbon (used to strap freight to pallets)

I also don't see any type of mechanical filtration, like a sock or matting...this gets you your crystal clear- but remember there is also sediment in nature.

Macenzi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Statesboro
16 new ones plus the 8 old haha. So i should add just loads more ? Or something else! Im willing to put anything in there

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
With that sump design you should have media bags with ceramic media or lava rock, and crammed full of it.
I'd modify it into a wet/dry if I was running it. 1/2 inch PVC to hold up a drip tray made from plastic filing drawers and egg crate to contain the pot scrubbers would be the easiest route. Only need a drill and hack-saw.

Have you tested your water? I'd be worried about ammonia levels with that little bio-media.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
16+8 = not near enough.

Agreed with the bags of ceramic or lava rock, but for cost per square/ft and growth surface efficiency you can not beat stuffing your sump full of scrubbies. Mine has been great for years with scrubbies. Lava rock is dirty (needs prep) and doesn't have near the surface area but fairly cheap. Ceramic is fantastic, but expensive.

http://www.doitbest.com/Scouring+pads-Do+it+Best-model-10044-doitbest-sku-632989.dib

8 per pkg @ $1 each. 12 pkg minimum ($12 minimum order) for a total of 96 scrubbies.
Just do it!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What kind of overflow/pre filter are you using?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store