Conflicting info on geophagus brasiliensis

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Picked up a geophagus brasiliensis. I am fairly new to this type of fish and have read some conflicting info on conspecific aggression and captive adult size. I currently have one in a 75 and am looking at getting a second. I first read they are semi-aggressive when I got my original one and find that to be true but mine is still a juvie. After more reading I read they are actually very aggressive for geophaus and very conspecific aggressive. Also reading adult sizes anywhere from 7-11" and recommended tank size 40 -75 gallon. Wondering what MFKer expierence is.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The reason that there is conflicting info is due to the fact that there a number of fish that fall under the "brasiliensis-type" complex. G. iporangensis, sp. "Red Bahia", along with numerous aquarium strains.

In order to get proper info, you will need a proper ID. Post some pics and myself or someone else might be able to sort it out for you.

Until then, check this past thread out.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?398997-Geophagus-sp-quot-Red-Bahia

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That makes allot more sense now. I was looking online I see some fish that are grey and some that are bright yellow with the same name. Mine leans more towards the yellow ones. The fins have the reddish pattern like the first pics in your link. They look exactly like post #39 in that link.

This is mine, He or She (don't know yet) looks a little beat up cause I just got it. I will have it healthy and fattened up in no time. ONly about 2" right now. 20141026_195740.jpg20141026_195531.jpg

20141026_195740.jpg

20141026_195531.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry, but for myself it's really too small to tell with any certainty what you have.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Had an 11in adult. Extremely aggressive. Very similar to amphilophus level.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Sorry, but for myself it's really too small to tell with any certainty what you have.
No worries. I guess time will tell. I am going to get the second one. I spoke with the person at the LFS and they said if they don't get along I can bring one or both back. The other one looks much healthier as well and originally the one I wanted.

Funny story but I was keeping this stoned guy at bay while the girls where trying to catch my fish. I completely forgot to check which one they got me. Not really there fault either this guy was a mess. The girl told me he hung out for another 2 hours after I left. He was convinced that I bought a Jack Dempsey.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Had an 11in adult. Extremely aggressive. Very similar to amphilophus level.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Oh man I hope that isn't the case with the ones I bought. Not looking for a wet pet. Have any pics of yours was it more the grey kind or the yellow kind?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Not sure I'd put them at Amphilophus level ... but I did have one that killed a Green Terror that was nearly double the brasiliensis' size.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Not sure I'd put them at Amphilophus level ... but I did have one that killed a Green Terror that was nearly double the brasiliensis' size.
Well that is definitely not on the semi-aggressive level LOL. Do you have a pic of yours? I am wondering if these bigger killers are the ones that are more grey or yellow.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I don't, this was pre-digital camera era (20 years ago or so). But it was a beauty, one of the ones that lived up to the old common name of "Mother of Pearl" cichlid. All blues and silver iridescence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store