Heros sp. Inirida

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
Is this its own species or simply a locality variant of an existing Heros, such as efasciatus? Does "sp." simply stand for an undescribed species?

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
I have been doing a little more research on the topic and it seems that there are two fish sold under the name Heros sp. Inirida, one that resembles Heros severus and another that resembles Heros notatus or maybe efasciatus.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Inirida are spotted, similar to notatus, but have only 8 bars like rotkeil. Since other severums have 9 bars, that would normally be one of the giveaways for these two fish (inirida and rotkeil). Also, Inirida is a river in Columbia. I haven't seen anything where sp. inirida have been officially described yet, hence the "sp" in front of their name, which would go away if or whenever they're officially described as a separate species, as would (or should) two different fish being sold under the name-- if that's the case. But identifying them would seem to be fairly straightforward, a spotted severum with only 8 bars from a specific river, Inirida in Columbia. Beyond that I don't know what other fish would (or should) be called inirida. Not to say another fish hasn't been sold under the name, just that I don't know why that would be the case.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
As neutrino pointed out, they basically look like notatus but with eight vertical bars. The spots are also maroon/red rather than black like they are on the body of the notatus. They are beautiful fish. If you find the real deal (Jeff Rapps has them right now, for instance) and you are looking for a handsome severum, that'd be the one to get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store