Caring for a waterless tank

hazler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Australia
Wasn't sure if this should go in here or the DIY section.
But basically I may be getting an 8ft x 2ft x 2ft tank, I say may as I don't know how long it's been dry for. I've always been taught, and thought that a dry tank is no good as they're prone to leak. Anyway, questions.

Is it the seals that become no good or the glass itself? Is there something I can do at all? Or is it best to steer clear of it all together?
Cheers :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would fill aquarium up with water , and let aquarium sit for a day or two. If it leaks of any water then reseal the entire aquarium. Also check for chips of the glass, and cracks.

hazler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Australia
Thanks. I wouldnt buy it with any cracks or chips of course, but a friends 40 gal tank burst a year ago. I later found out it was 2nd hand and had been empty for a few months prior to purchase.

So it's more so the seals in the aquarium which could be the issue if the glass had no major imperfections? In that case I'd probably just reseal it anyway to be safe.

Cheers

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I wouldn't worry about a tank being dry causing it to link. Silicone does not absorb water and swell up. It get somewhat hardened so it loses some adhesion after about 20 years, used or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store