How to pick a pleco up properly?

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
I see pictures of people picking plecos up to measure them by pressing on the end of their heads. And I've always wanted to know how to do it, but with minimum stress made and not hurting the fish. So I know that there are some very knowledgable pleco keepers on here, and I'd like you to tell me how to pick up plecos correctly. Thank you for any advise given

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
Here's the long version.

If you can reach the bottom of you tank easily, don't use a net. Plecos are easy to catch. If you can't, either use a ladder and drain half of the tank. If you are too lazy to do that, and MUST use a net, it's ok to trap them in the net, but don't lift them out of the water in the net. You'll end up hurting them with the net most of the time.

The easiest way is to guide them into a corner of the tank, and try to have them swim into the center of your palm. Place your thumb on it's forehead between the eyes, and scoop the rest of your four fingers onto it's belly. Lift! If the pleco is giving you problems picking it up, lighting apply pressure on it's forehead against the bottom of the tank, that'll stop it from moving around, and scoop it up from the bottom of the tank with the other four fingers. For most of the plecos, the forehead area between the eyes actually are the smoothest area on it's back side. When you hold them this way correctly, that keeps the trashing around to the minimum, and the fins will be extended for inspection. It's mouth may suck on your palm or fingers, don't worry, they don't bite, at least haven't happen to me yet.

A very common mistake is the remaining four fingers, many just apply pressure on their stomach, the soft part, that actually stresses them out BIG TIME. you want to kinda support their weight mostly with your index finger and pinky finger on the pectoral fins. The middle and ring finger on the stomach area are mostly to guide and balance the fish. Notice my pinky finger supporting the base of it's pectoral fin in the following pictures.

When done correctly, they will be fine out of the water like that for extended periods of time. Most pleco can breath air, some can do so for hours easily, it's drying out that actually kills them when they are out of water.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
very interesting always wondered that myself.

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
I agree with mrtoofay

In addition, tribeacon, mostly vampire family pleco could pinch your Palm and draw blood so be careful!

Sent from my D5803 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Here's the long version.

If you can reach the bottom of you tank easily, don't use a net. Plecos are easy to catch. If you can't, either use a ladder and drain half of the tank. If you are too lazy to do that, and MUST use a net, it's ok to trap them in the net, but don't lift them out of the water in the net. You'll end up hurting them with the net most of the time.

The easiest way is to guide them into a corner of the tank, and try to have them swim into the center of your palm. Place your thumb on it's forehead between the eyes, and scoop the rest of your four fingers onto it's belly. Lift! If the pleco is giving you problems picking it up, lighting apply pressure on it's forehead against the bottom of the tank, that'll stop it from moving around, and scoop it up from the bottom of the tank with the other four fingers. For most of the plecos, the forehead area between the eyes actually are the smoothest area on it's back side. When you hold them this way correctly, that keeps the trashing around to the minimum, and the fins will be extended for inspection. It's mouth may suck on your palm or fingers, don't worry, they don't bite, at least haven't happen to me yet.

A very common mistake is the remaining four fingers, many just apply pressure on their stomach, the soft part, that actually stresses them out BIG TIME. you want to kinda support their weight mostly with your index finger and pinky finger on the pectoral fins. The middle and ring finger on the stomach area are mostly to guide and balance the fish. Notice my pinky finger supporting the base of it's pectoral fin in the following pictures.

When done correctly, they will be fine out of the water like that for extended periods of time. Most pleco can breath air, some can do so for hours easily, it's drying out that actually kills them when they are out of water.
Brilliant advise I will definitely take it wisely. Thank you for your advice

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
I always wondered this as well. Very nice lil read. Will have to try this out on my smaller of the big pleco's I own. Wouldn't Pseuda's be able to draw blood as well. They have some wicked looking teeth when bigger.

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
I've handled 16" L25s and 14" L185s before, I wouldn't say Pseudas bites. Biting really isn't plecos' weapon, they usually attack with their body parts when in danger. That's why we hold them this way in the first place, to minimize thrashing, which does the most damage to your hands/arms. If you are worried about biting, you can always do this....

That was when I first handled the larger ones, now.. I just man up!!!:D
Kevlar gloves actually doesn't do much about the spikes, you'll need leather gloves for that.....

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Gd stuff Mrtoofay! I need to become more hands on with my plecs when needed. Nets can be brutal to sensitive parts like streamers sometimes

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
Yeah I tried moving my L25 from the shipping bag to my tank and well I never figured out this technique so I grabbed it like I do the others which is my palm under them but my thumb is behind there pectoral going up to the base of there dorsal to avoid there spines on the pectorals and to better hold them while they try thrashing. Sometimes i have to hold the base of the tail a bit. I do this quickly to minimize the stress on the fish. With the L25's though oh man cactus pleco is a very accurate name. Those spines on there body aren't just ornamental lol. One bend of his body and his body stabbed my hand multiple times at once. I wasn't that painful I think the not being prepared for it is what made it worse. I try not to mess with these guys much. Oh and I know there main defense isn't biting but still those are some wicked teeth lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store