Horabagrus Brachysoma

KarthikC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
India
Hi Guys,

Planning for my catfish only tank in the coming months. Started collecting them and here's the first of my collection. The Horabagrus Brachysoma aka the sun catfish. It's reported to grow to about 18" here are some pics. Would like to hear from anyone who has experienced keeping them.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1414491326.145285.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1414491343.913283.jpg
Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
18" is a monster sun. You can expect it to get to about 10-12" maybe 14" if you're really lucky. Good luck with it though, I've heard they're great cats!

KarthikC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
India
18" is a monster sun. You can expect it to get to about 10-12" maybe 14" if you're really lucky. Good luck with it though, I've heard they're great cats!

Yeah, in captivity their size is less I heard. 12"-14" sounds good too. I've seen wild caught ones grow upto 18" :) they are really lovely cats :)

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Lovely cats. IME realistic size is 10"-12" at 5+years. FASTLANE (a member here) has the only one over a foot that I'm rather sure is true. His is 15". IME, they are most relaxed and entertaining in a group of say a dozen or at least 6-7.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
These cats kind of caught my eye and I'm curious about them too. So, they are best kept in groups or would one be ok by itself? Not sure if it would be compatible in my tank though. I have CA cichlids (Synspilum, Argentea, Firemouth, Convict), a Black Shark and Bala Sharks. Tank is a 135 gallon. Sorry to highjack the thread.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Being a Bagriid, they stand their ground with cichlids. E.g., see threads and videos by Justarn like this http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...vil-cat-in-a-300g-community!&highlight=wyckii

He's got a lone sun cat that looks very comfortable w/o its kin and with quite aggressive cichlids and a wyckii catfish in a 300 gal. But I'd say this is one of rare exceptions, which I fail to rationalize. Most usually, if there is only one or even 2-3-4 sun cats, they will be hiding all of the light hours.

KarthikC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
India
Lovely cats. IME realistic size is 10"-12" at 5+years. FASTLANE (a member here) has the only one over a foot that I'm rather sure is true. His is 15". IME, they are most relaxed and entertaining in a group of say a dozen or at least 6-7.
Thanks for the info :) I have two of them now, would plan for more once I get my "big" tank.

These cats kind of caught my eye and I'm curious about them too. So, they are best kept in groups or would one be ok by itself? Not sure if it would be compatible in my tank though. I have CA cichlids (Synspilum, Argentea, Firemouth, Convict), a Black Shark and Bala Sharks. Tank is a 135 gallon. Sorry to highjack the thread.
Hi, you can keep them in a group, that's what people tell me (so I'm hunting for more). Also, it eats any fish that would fit in it's mouth. Why not some other peaceful cats (not that Sun cat isn't peaceful)?

Being a Bagriid, they stand their ground with cichlids. E.g., see threads and videos by Justarn like this http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...vil-cat-in-a-300g-community!&highlight=wyckii

He's got a lone sun cat that looks very comfortable w/o its kin and with quite aggressive cichlids and a wyckii catfish in a 300 gal. But I'd say this is one of rare exceptions, which I fail to rationalize. Most usually, if there is only one or even 2-3-4 sun cats, they will be hiding all of the light hours.
Yes, these catfish hide most of the time. They come out once they smell the food dropped in the tank.

Cheers,

Karthik

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store