Hith? - Help

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I noticed my rhom had some damage on his head the other day and I am trying to figure out what it is. Originally I thought he just bumped his head but it is not going away and I am worried that it is hith. My rhom is in 75gal tank and I to do frequent water changes so I am not sure where this came from if its hith.

I have had my rhom for 15.5 years so I am really worried about this. Any help is appreciated. I couldn't take pics but I was able to take a video. Towards the end you can get a much better perspective of the damage on his forehead.

http://youtu.be/LshJAh9yUE0

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
A bad scrape can take a month or two to heal, depending on how deep it is. I wouldn't expect HITH to show up overnight.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have never dealt with Hith and this looks more like holes to me than a scrape. If its just scrape I expect it go away, I am just concerned it is hith and needs to be treated asap. Maybe I am being paranoid.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have never dealt with Hith and this looks more like holes to me than a scrape. If its just scrape I expect it go away, I am just concerned it is hith and needs to be treated asap. Maybe I am being paranoid.
What type of filtration are you using?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I do weekly to bi-weekly water changes of 50% for the past 1.5 years. I went on vacation and there was a 3 week period where I did not do water changes and that is when I noticed this, but not sure if was there before. He is in a 75gal by himself and only fed once a week. I can test for ammonia/nitrite, but usually only test for nitrates. Nitrates have not gone over 10-15ppm for a very long time.

For the first 14years of keeping him, I did water changes every 4-6 weeks until my new routine mentioned above. This is a new issue that I noticed recently though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Age could factor in also, as far as appearance IMO. I say that because from what I'm reading your doing the right things , wc's are crucial. BTW you wouldn't be feeding live feeder's to the Rhom from your LFS, feeders such as goldfish carry all sorts of parasites.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Nope. He is a bit of a picky eater, so he mostly gets smelt with shrimp occasionally. I am going to try catfish and stuffing it with pellets to see if he will take that. He used to get goldfish a long time ago but not for a very long time. Also, the filter on the tank is a FX5.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Nope. He is a bit of a picky eater, so he mostly gets smelt with shrimp occasionally. I am going to try catfish and stuffing it with pellets to see if he will take that. He used to get goldfish a long time ago but not for a very long time. Also, the filter on the tank is a FX5.
If he won't eat the catfish , try tilapia :).

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
After digging through the forums, I think I am going to take a dual approach. I will try soaking some NLS pellets with epsom salt and inserting them in catfish/tilapia. He normally eats once a week so I will see if I can get him to eat 3-5days in a row. I will just feed smaller portions

Just to be on the safe side, I think I will also treat metro+ which will directly into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store