anyone know nielsen.com? Feedback pls

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Last week I got mail with congrats stuff like I won the Lotto... (straight to the trash can).

FWD

Saturday I was in the shower when someone knocked on my door. By the time I got out, I seen the person leaving and since I was in a rush and did not recognize the face, I brushed it off.

FWD

30min ago I got another knock on the door and it was the same guy with a car sales man attitude/voice. Gave me flowers and said congrats, I have been selected for nielsenTv. He gave me papers on the company and who, what, when, why they do it. No contract, signing papers, etc... no personal info or authorization needed from me, just a date for them to install the box for my TV's.

Call me crazy but I am super skeptical about this as I have never heard of the company (but he did show me newspapers with current dates stating the company name and TV stats).

My question is... has anyone ever heard of them and is it legit? I mean who would decline money for doing absolutely nothing except pressing my stat number?

http://www.nielsen.com/content/corporate/us/en/about-us/nielsen-families.html

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
as in nielson tv ratings? they've been around for decades. connect a box and they track the shows you watch. if you have a tivo you're already contributing.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
We were a "Nielsen Family" for several years. It was kind of interesting and they paid you a small amount of money for your time.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I was only interested because of how it was pitched... "you watch TV anyways, why not get some extra cash for it?". Who would not think about it lol.

Doing some research today, I think I'll pass. Sounds like there is a great deal of wires connected to the TV and an additional DVR type box that transfers the data, just don't have the time for a 6-8hr install.

For anyone in the future that will consider doing this... Under 35yr old Latinos in a bilingual home get a great increase, $500.00 for the first month and $40.00 every month after that for 23 months. Pretty good deal considering the cash reviews I have read.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
A 30 year friend if mine has worked there for over 20 and my mom worked there for a few years as well. From my understanding that's about it, everyone in the house hasa number signed to them and when they're watching tv you press your number do they know who's watching what. Every 40 minutes or do you have to press your number do they know you're still there, as well as every time you change the channel. That could be a major PITA. Also they do physically hook up wires to your tv and receivers. That's about the jist of it. Don't blame you for passing, I wouldn't do it either.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Did something similar for another company couple years ago. Was no biggie for me and gave my kids pocket money that did not come out of my budget. I found it an easy win.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Id do it. But Im willing to bet they wouldn't want my opinion.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
never heard of them

if I had not read other posts i'd say the guy was scouting for a home invasion

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I'd do it. maybe it would get some of those reality shows off the air.
Yep, that and Ghost Hunters. When I had Cable, I blocked syfy from my channel line up. The only way to watch syfy was to manually enter it. Which I would only do on Mondays and Fridays. With Direct TV, I almost do everything manually anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store