eye bitter?

pigman723

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2012
GA
Should i get an eye bitter for my tank? They only get 11 inches. So i was thinking that only these hybrid babies will be eaten. A pet store has a few. Pros/cons of these type of fish?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a few species known as eye biters, and they are African cichlids.
The most common is Dimidiochromis compressiceps, they do not usually take out other fishes eyes if well fed, and get quite beautiful, and fairly slow growers.
But because you are posting in the new world cichlid area, I'm guessing you want to put it with NWs, and while South American cichlids may not be a problem, but they may not able to deal with some Central American aggressiveness.

pigman723

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2012
GA
OK! i thought this is the general aquaria forum. And, no the eye bitter would be put in with mbunas and haps.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
The eye biter name is a misnomer. I've never experienced them biting or attacking eyes. I do like them and thought about buying one yesterday when I saw them at a lfs. Males are very impressive when mature. I used to have one that would help keep the mbuna fry in check. Interesting watching him hunt fry among the rocks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awesome name but I have never heard of them living up to it in aquaria.I think I recall reading in one of my books that they only go after fish's eyes in the wild.I'd love to see one of them in action.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Eye Bitter is my favorite hap because its unique body shape stands out from the standard shape of 99% Malawians. I am keeping one and a few in the past, always a single male to avoid conspecific aggression. Eye Bitter is not aggressive towards other fish, far less aggressive than Mbuna. But don't count on it to prey on small cichlids. Mine was raised with dry food so he never acquired the taste of live food. I have juvie cichlids and some born in the same tank and he never go out of his way to hunt for them. But if I throw in skittish guppies that swim on top, he will get them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store