What is the Fastest and safest way to do a water change???

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I've been trying to figure out a way to speed up my water changes while maintaining the quality of the water. I've heard about using a pool filter hose to drain the tank fast. Anyone ever try this?

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I want to reduce the time it takes to do a water change. A friend told me that a pool hose will help reduce the time it takes to drain the tank. Anyone ever try this?

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I use tubing I got from home Depot that's about 1 inch wide, and run it out the front door. I bring in my house from outsideand fill it up. I have well water, so we don't have anything in the tap water that could harm the fish. Not sure what your situation is, but I'm sure your local home Depot or lowes etc should have some tubing large enough to drain large quantities of water quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I use a water pump and a hose. I drain 150 gallons from the 180 they're in everyday.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Getting the water removed from the aquarium quickly, is easy and the larger diameter the pipe Obviously the quicker you'll achieve this. The issue in hand really is the speed of refilling, as in you need to match as close as possible the temperature . I use HMA filter and slowly trickle fill over a couple of hours, you could pre heat the water in a vat the day before and pump it in quickly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Simer-2305-1-4-HP-Geyser-II-Submersible-Pump/19868868

This is exactly what I use to do water changes. Pumps out water really fast so works well with my larger (180 gallon) tank.

I run a hose outside to empty tank, then take the pump and put it into a 5 gallon pail. Then put the 5 gallon pail in a utility sink and run tap water right into the pail and use the pump to pump the new water back into tank.

70 percent water changes with general maintenance to tank (rubbing down glass, 15 gallons of substrate cleaning) takes just one hour.

I will say though, having a hose running into tank when im filling up is kind of scary to look it. Never leave room when doing water changes :)

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
Drain with large hoes( depends on tank size) then use a 5 gallon bucket under a strong flow sink or something then grab a strong pump, connect the hose that was used to drain then start pumping , fastest for me , add prime while refilling , I been doing that for a bit now , not bad just that my hose is only 3/4 inches kind of slow for my 125g

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
No body concerned with temp dropping???

Depending on stock... but even in tropical areas , when it rains, temperature fluctuates and fish are able to adapt. I do 75%water changes on my SA tank, that has a few geos, sevs, uaru, etc. I use a sump pump that drains 120 gallons in like 3 minutes and i just have a hose that takes about 10 minutes to re fill. I add my seachem safe directly, and have been doing it so for a long time now. I find a temperature drop of about 6°. But only take a few hoirs to come back up. My fish dont mind and i find that they like it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store