Can you have to many filter?

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I have an FX6 and a AquaTop 400 running on my 180 gallon currently. I've been thinking about adding another, possibly a Wet Dry. I've heard mixed results regarding multiple filters. Can you really have to many Filters????

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
More filters mean more filters that need to be (regularly) cleaned and more electricity being used.

Running a bunch of crap dirty filters is, in my opinion, worse than using one, appropriately-sized, clean one (especially a sump).

Matt

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Yes, it's a waste of money, both initial cost plus cost to run. Also adds increased maintenance. But hey, can be pretty cool to brag that you have 10,000 GPH turnover on your tank :thumbsup:

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Short answer yea you can...
For your size tank sump is your best bet imho

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
if you can stay on top of cleaning all of them its fine. The more filters you have, the more often you can clean your filters and still have a solid maintenance rotation.

I usually try to have 2-3 methods of filtration on a tank just in case a filter fails im not scrambling trying to fix/replace it. I can take my time, order parts online or wait till the next pay check.

There's always the added electrical cost, however 3 moderately smaller filters will consume a similar amount of electricity as a larger unit such as an fx5

That's just how I think of it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store