is this fish safe ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
so I found we have filter socks at work we use on our machines, unsure of the make of them but they say PE25 on the sock themselves think theyre polyester on how the feel. how would I find out if there fish friendly to be used in a tank system ?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
what are they used for? if they're just polyester, then they'd be ok, but if they are 25 micron they're finer than most people filter. might be changing them out daily, but have crystal clear water.
biggest problem is if they're treated in some way. for example, you can get open cell reticulated foam (poret) other places, but it's often used for seat cushions and is pre-treated with mold inhibitors and anti-fungals that are toxic.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
yea there 25 microns and I can get em all the way down to a 5micron socks.... I thought the higher the number the finer the sock is ? or am I wrong ? we use them on our machines to filter oil and coolant in the cnc machines but iim unsure of the company that provide them to us... al I know is they have PE25 printed on them, dunno if there heated treated, or have mold inhibitors, or chemicals in them.... the one I brought home last night has a steel ring in it as when a squeeze it, it holds the shape and doesn't bounce back

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
well I called the company that makes/sells these and they are polyester and nothing is added in them or nothing, just welded seams and they have a steel ring in the top which ive cut out but I can get them in a 5, 10, 20, 25 from work for FREEEEEEE :) SCORE !!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store