Feeding small spotted gar

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Hello everyone :)

Finally got spotted gar, about 3".. now, what to feed him at this lenghth? Hes no skittish at all, swimming at surface, i could hand feed him :)

i just need to find what he might like..any suggestions? I would try to skip live food, atleast fishes because converting back to pellets might be quite a pain.. would he take crickets, bloodworms, krill and stuff like that?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Bogdan

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
My gars ate white mosquito larva (Frozen) like crazy.
Maybe start with larvas which are still alive and then swich to frozen.
White ones are floating so the gar can pick them up easily.
When he grows bigger he will take anything you throw in once he regonized
that you are the guy with the food.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
You should really have a constant supply of food for a gar at that age. I would do feeders until he gets big enough (6-7") to switch to not live.

Ya, you could probably try those first. If hes not taking anything however, you may have to go to live.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Supply is not a prob because zoo shops with frozen and live food are all around :) if i cant make him to eat larvas, then he will go into smaller tank (he is now in 120g) with some tetras until he gets bigger :) and "pool" is already prepared where he will live happily ever after..he will just need to cooperate with food thing ;)

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Just wait until the tetras start to go missing then you know the larva isn't sufficient enough anymore.
And yes they should have a constant supply of food until they hit the reproduction hormone stage. Don't know about a true spotted Gar but they say with a Fla. spotted it's around 12 or 14 inches. Mines about there. I've noticed his feeding has slowed down. ( feeders are lasting a lot longer in the tank)

So after Nov. if the feeding is still slow I'm going to start to break him on to other stuff.

Again not sure what the growth spurt is on a spotted, the FSG is about a inch a month.
right now GARfield is just over 13 inches.
and not really slowing down.
Rich

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Thanks for the info :) will try to raise him up this way, its really amazing fish :) btw even so small, he already snapped my finger :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store