red tailed cat

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
Hello, I was wondering how big a red tailed cat would get in a 300 commercial tank with one pacu? I heard that red tailed cats can get very large even in small aquariums, not that a 300 is big for huge fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's not going to stop growing just because you put it in a small tank and would probably grow until the tank pops. If you want one get at least a 4,000 gallon.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
You'll hear a lot of answers I'm sure but I had one outgrow a 150 in about 1 year, then it outgrew my 300 in about another year and a half or so. Mine is a 10x2x2. What's the footprint of yours? The wider the better so they have turning radius.

In time, no matter the footprint, it will outgrow your 300 and need more space to not stunt and remain healthy.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
By "outgrow" I'm rather sure you mean merely space.

It appears to me (from Oddball's comments) that large fish outgrow their water volume and flow before they outgrow their enclosure space. In other words, the amount of water is crucial not only to their physical movement needs but also to instant dilution of toxins produced by fish.

The instant dilution of the toxins happens before the toxins are taken care of by BB. That's even more important of a reason that a large volume of water is needed to keep a large fish humanely and not have it constantly stressed and suffocated by the regularly spiking toxins, which most usually eludes the water tests.

To further clarify, let me offer a reverse hypothetical example: a 3' RTC in a 300 gal tank with a 5000 GPH flow and a 3,000 gal pond for a sump would probably not suffer from the toxins thanks to high turnover and high water volume but will suffer from inability to move.

Of course, it is far better to provide a 2000-2500 gal tank for this RTC and, say, a 500-1000 gal sump.

As for my standard answer, please look through this collection of pertinent links, if you will: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36395&hilit=+thumb

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
What I was trying to elude to was another posters name. The bigger the better. When it comes to tank size. I'll never buy another RTC and I have far bigger tanks now than I did when I owned one. Very few can properly house these monsters. Not even myself with an 8x4x3 and a couple 8x3x2.5. Which aren't even that big compared to many people here.

By outgrow I meant I couldn't keep water quality up. Even with 70% WC every third day. The fish was upgraded long before physically outgrowing the tanks.

If you get one know the 300 is a very temporary tank.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
By "outgrow" I'm rather sure you mean merely space.

It appears to me (from Oddball's comments) that large fish outgrow their water volume and flow before they outgrow their enclosure space. In other words, the amount of water is crucial not only to their physical movement needs but also to instant dilution of toxins produced by fish.

The instant dilution of the toxins happens before the toxins are taken care of by BB. That's even more important of a reason that a large volume of water is needed to keep a large fish humanely and not have it constantly stressed and suffocated by the regularly spiking toxins, which most usually eludes the water tests.

To further clarify, let me offer a reverse hypothetical example: a 3' RTC in a 300 gal tank with a 5000 GPH flow and a 3,000 gal pond for a sump would probably not suffer from the toxins thanks to high turnover and high water volume but will suffer from inability to move.

Of course, it is far better to provide a 2000-2500 gal tank for this RTC and, say, a 500-1000 gal sump.

As for my standard answer, please look through this collection of pertinent links, if you will: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36395&hilit=+thumb
Agreed 100% well said

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
thanks for the replys, would the situation be any better with a tsn catfish?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
TSN would be marginally "better" only because it is more slender. Smaller mass.

Divinehammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sherwood park Alberta Canada
unless you have a 10'x10'x4' pond forget it for either fish, the TSN actual gets longer than the RTC, 2000 gallon is the minimum tank size to properly house an RTC but bigger is better, your filtration rate needs to be 10x or greater than normal flowrates for these large cats, and don't forget the cost of the food you have to feed these fish ,my 26" RTC already costs me $80 a month to feed, my 8-9" one is at about $20-$30 a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store