Official Cyprinid Thread

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I know people on this forum might not give to much credit to Cyprinids (Minnows) but to me they're one of the best types of fish out there and really deserve at least a devoted thread to them on this forum. Just like characins you have the smaller peaceful species such as fathead minnows and Giant Danios but then you also have the monsters of the family like Common Carp and Colorado Pikeminnows. I personally think there should be a seperate sub forum for Cyprinids but maybe that's just me, if others think that way as well I could bring it up with a mod but otherwise they at least deserve this thread. Since there currently isn't a forum feel free to post anything about Cyprinids here guys, pictures, videos, experience, setups, breeding projects, etc.

I currently am keeping 6 species of Cyprinids (1 tropical species and 5 native species) including 6 Giant Danios (Devario aequipinnatus), 4 Creek Chubs (Semotilus atromaculatus), 3 Redside Dace (Clinostomus elongatus), 3 Silverjaw Minnows (Notropis buccatus), 5 Mimic Shiners (Notropis volucellus), and 1 Bluntnose Minnow (Pimephales notatus). As far as breeding minnows go I've had 1 spawn out of my creek chubs but no eggs were laid (just the spawning embrace multiple times over about 1 hour) but I plan on trying again in the spring.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Cyprinids are really underrated. Have 4 species in my pond, I'll upload some pics when I get my new phone

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I really like the danio species. Right now I have 8 giant danios and plan to add 12 more in my 125.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's a Cyprinid I caught last night: Cyprinus carpio
image.jpg

Come on people! Show off your shiners, dace, chubs, carps, danios, barbs, rasboras, or anything else that in the family Chprinidae!

image.jpg

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
I had some rainbow sharks and later some bala sharks, they werent the most intellegent but they were young.
Will get some new cyprinids soon!
Any that might go well with a growing Oscar at ~6 inches?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I had some rainbow sharks and later some bala sharks, they werent the most intellegent but they were young.
Will get some new cyprinids soon!
Any that might go well with a growing Oscar at ~6 inches?
I think a bala and an oscar would probably get along for a while until the oscar starts to get aggressive. I can always recommend a school of giant danios though, my old cichlids tried nonstop to catch them but they never could.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store