Question about moving

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm going to be moving this weekend which I'm extremely excited about because it means I can finally get my 150 gallon tank from the guy I bought it from over a month ago.

I have a question about what to do with my betta tank though. It's just a small 5.5 gallon tank but I know I'm going to have to drain it to move it. What is the best way to move it and all the beneficial bacteria without having to cause it to cycle again when I get moved in and set it up? It'll probably be only a day or two of it not running and not having water in it.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Tank any substrate decor, filter media, etc and keep it in a container of tank water. Preferably with the fish since you'll be moving the fish as well. If not with the fish that fine to but you'll have more bacteria die. There's going to be bacteria that dies no matter what but the goal is to try and minimize that as much as possible. Just be lucky you only have one small tank to worry about, when I move in 6-7 years after I graduate college I'm going to have at least 10 tanks to move and not all that small.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Tank any substrate decor, filter media, etc and keep it in a container of tank water. Preferably with the fish since you'll be moving the fish as well. If not with the fish that fine to but you'll have more bacteria die. There's going to be bacteria that dies no matter what but the goal is to try and minimize that as much as possible. Just be lucky you only have one small tank to worry about, when I move in 6-7 years after I graduate college I'm going to have at least 10 tanks to move and not all that small.
Yeah I was eager to get my 150 gallon but am extremely happy I delayed gratification to wait until after I moved so I don't have to deal with that. I've got a few large terrariums to move but that's a lot easier than moving water and bacteria. Sucks for you haha.

GaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Georgia
I've gotta move at the beginning of next month, still trying to figure it out. I've gotta do a 125, 75, and a 37 gallon. Plus I'm in an apartment so that makes it fun.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I think for the beta, use a 5 gallon water jug you can get from Zephyrhills or primo etc. You could probably take all the water with you.

Regarding the larger move, I'm planning on moving from south Florida to Kentucky with my 125. There's only 4 fish in it, but one is a large ck. I was thinking on using Rubbermaid containers filed with the tank's water, running filters on a power inverter.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'm moving my 3 gallon betta tank soon, plan is to drain tank to probably about 15% volume, lay filter media in the water; then move.

Fish itself is being moved beforehand to a breeder trap in my main established tank. Means that the 3 gallon can be moved quick, filled with water again, filter on and temp up and you're pretty much good to go. Not ideal due to pH differences etc, but its what I'd suggest.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
How far are you moving? With a tank that small I'd drain half of it and move it untouched. I recently had a friend give me his 5.5 gallon (soon to be wife hates fish) and he brought it mostly full covered in plastic wrap.

If it was a long move I'd dump everything into a 5 gallon bucket and run the heater and filter off an inverter.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I think for the beta, use a 5 gallon water jug you can get from Zephyrhills or primo etc. You could probably take all the water with you.

Regarding the larger move, I'm planning on moving from south Florida to Kentucky with my 125. There's only 4 fish in it, but one is a large ck. I was thinking on using Rubbermaid containers filed with the tank's water, running filters on a power inverter.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm in Kentucky!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store