Back up Generators in case of powerless

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Winter is approaching and where I'm from we get some serious storms. I want to buy a backup generator in case the worse happens and I lose power, I want to make sure my precious Rays make it no matter what. Anyone who has a suggestion on a good backup generator I can use please let me know.

Crisroom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
USA
I bought a duel fuel generator because I wanted to use propane. Super easy to hook up and I don't have to mess gasoline.

I recently lost power for over 4hrs. It definitely came in handy!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Unless you get a lot of power outages, buy a new one from harbor freight or northern tool. Get a bigger genset for less money.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
Honda portables are clearly better as they can keep hertz steady enough to run communicating electronics but I use a generac with no issues

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
When you do loss power, are you typically talking days or hours of outage?

Do you want it just for the tank or for the house as well?

If you talking hours (and you're not running sophisticated electronics) just grab a cheapo from Harbor Feight for less than a hundred bucks. Just remember a small generator will require you to fill the fuel more often.

If you're talking days or want to power the house as well, you'll need to spend quite a bit more $. Big box stores will carry high wattage portable generators that will power pretty much your entire house and are very affordable. Hondas are great but they're gonna cost you over 3X the price

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
You'll need one with an inverter to run pumps, from my experience. They need a clean sine wave to spin, also computer battery backups of low quality wouldn't run my pumps correctly either.

After a ton of research I'm getting a honda 2000i or yamaha for my tanks and home. Depends on which i can find locally that also has a service center. I hear you're sol for warranty work on a honda if bought from amazon.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store